Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mixing breeds in the herd  (Read 3086 times)

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
Mixing breeds in the herd
« on: July 19, 2016, 05:21:09 am »
Hi,

I was wondering if it is generally Ok to mix breeds of pigs in one herd or keep them separate. I was thinking about having Kune Kune and Mangalitza in the same field but wondered if the larger Mangalitza might bully the smaller Kunes.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Many thanks,

Tim

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Mixing breeds in the herd
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 08:07:57 am »
I was going to say yes, until i saw the two breeds mentioned.

Never owned either but the size and typical demeanour difference worries me.

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 02:33:29 pm »
Oh, thank you. My main breed would be Kune Kune pigs, what breed might go best with them as a second type do you think?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 03:47:55 pm »
Never mixed breeds myself.  It could depend on how old they were when you introduced them to each other and whether they were gilts or boar (definitely wouldn't recommend mixing boars).  Vietnamese Pot Belly?   Can't think of a decent pork pig that'd be size compatible.

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 04:02:18 pm »
OK, thanks!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 04:12:25 pm »
I concur with MF.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 05:12:38 pm »
I have mixed my Kunes with saddlebacks, GOS and OSB with no problems. Mind you the latter pigs came as weaners so I dare say that made a difference.
My Kunes had a very rough time when my neighbours Large Whites and Landrace pigs got in, they were well bashed up though whether that was the breed or the sudden meeting, I couldn't say.
I dare say someone knows more but why wouldn't pigs brought up together not get on?  Kunes get on with everyone!

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:43:50 pm »
Thanks Devonlady and everyone else for your views.  :sunshine:

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 12:53:27 am »
I've had my mangalitsa boar in with 3 old kune gilts since December. They are big girls and obviously not going to breed despite his determined efforts. He has his fun with them, but when they are out of season they very definitely let him know his status in the herd. He doesn't seem to mind. There were also 3 saddleback / middle whites.  He did get a young kune in pig. She had a litter and killed all but one, which was later also squashed. I was gutted, but in retrospect it was perhaps for the best - I think they would have taken for ever to get to weight.

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 05:48:02 am »
I've had my mangalitsa boar in with 3 old kune gilts since December. They are big girls and obviously not going to breed despite his determined efforts. He has his fun with them, but when they are out of season they very definitely let him know his status in the herd. He doesn't seem to mind. There were also 3 saddleback / middle whites.  He did get a young kune in pig. She had a litter and killed all but one, which was later also squashed. I was gutted, but in retrospect it was perhaps for the best - I think they would have taken for ever to get to weight.

Wow, David, you've really been through it!

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 10:05:33 am »
I've mixed kunekune with a few breeds - Berkshire, Large Black, OSB, tamworths, but haven't had mangalitzas.
If they're introduced as youngsters  (when the kk are bigger than the mangalitzas) the pecking order should get straightened out quite quickly. Always give them plenty of space and two arcs/sleeping areas, expect a few tussles for a few days but it should settle.
What's the feed regime for mangalitzas, compared to kk? The biggest headache I had was keeping the kk out of the larger meals served to the other breeds, but if you can get a small holding pen within the field you can shut one breed in to make feeding different amounts easier (and it's handy for loading/handling too)
HTH Karen

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 09:07:06 pm »
Thanks Karen, that's really helpful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS