Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! I can't find land staffordshire/ shropshire  (Read 3388 times)

Jingerjem

• Joined Jul 2016
Help! I can't find land staffordshire/ shropshire
« on: July 19, 2016, 02:51:45 am »
Hi, I would like to purchase 2 acres of land to begin my smallholding but struggling to find any suitable-can anybody sign post or help me? I don't mind if it is woodland but ideally it would have shelter and water supply..any ideas would be much appreciated

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Help! I can't find land staffordshire/ shropshire
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 09:34:43 am »
It does take time to find any bit of land never mind the right bit. Be patient, make your plans, it will come along!

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:45:36 am »
are you looking to buy or rent?

If buying, then you need to set up email alerts at places like uklandandfarms, zoopla, rightmove etc.

If renting, you need to figure out which agents in your area cover land rentals and farm sales. I've done this in the past simple by writing down the agent details whenever I pass a for sale / to let sign on a bit of agricultural land in my area.

Also, things like the farmers guardian used to be useful, or the farmers weekly if you're posh ;)

HTH

Adam

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 11:40:09 am »
For just 2 acres you might be better approaching a local farmer who has a bit of untended stuff he (opps or she!) may be willing to sell/rent
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 11:54:56 pm »
I think getting water might be tricky if buying land...I thought that a landowner cannot sell a field with a right to water if that comes from a water board ie Seven Trent...as opposed to water coming from a private supply.Website Preloved may be useful.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 10:23:22 am »
I think getting water might be tricky if buying land...I thought that a landowner cannot sell a field with a right to water if that comes from a water board ie Seven Trent...as opposed to water coming from a private supply.Website Preloved may be useful.

What? A landowner cannot sell a field with a water supply?

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 06:50:51 pm »
Well my father has a small holding and he extended the water  to the fields some 50 yrs ago from the house..The water is supplied by.Severn Trent Water Authority. HE NEVER TOLD THE WATER AUTHORITY AT THE TIME..... He is now 95.
Now if he sells a field he was told he couldn't sell it with a right to water as SEVERN TRENT would want to know where the water is coming from?(do they scan deeds?)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS