Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog attack  (Read 12062 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Dog attack
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2016, 12:59:23 pm »
The thing is [member=23925]chrismahon[/member] hens can free range in this country ( always with risk entailed) but it doesn't excuse the fact of the owners of the stray dogs. [member=27229]stufe35[/member]  Is not at fault here, as he does know the risks, the owners are at fault due to their own negligence. You cannot blame someone for letting their chickens free-range, I do agree that electric fencing would be better surrounding them to protect against all that but it is everyones own personal choice, personally I don't have electric fencing and never had fox problems. However it would be better if non diligent owners were not allowed to keep dogs and let them loose in the country or not keep them in when not playing with them then these things would not happen. The owners have no excuse, you cannot blame somebody for letting their livestock free range on their own land, this goes for sheep too, you cannot blame the owners of the animals on their own land when your dog is the culprit. I hope that all comes well in the end [member=27229]stufe35[/member]
All the best
WBF
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:22:37 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 07:48:14 pm »
So I've read the comments and won't change my stance. If you keep chickens they should be protected from all comers- foxes or dogs (with no collars). Anything less is reckless and defies normal stands of welfare.

As said, you can't sacrifice hens welfare against the cost of proper fencing- it is immoral.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2016, 08:02:50 pm »
I can't agree with you, IMHO there is nothing wrong with letting your animals roam on your OWN land.   many,many farms, smallholders leave they're chickens peck and forage to they're hearts content, with access and safety of enclosure at night.  I also think you are being rather harsh.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2016, 08:59:24 pm »
Chris,  you don't need to change your stance...you are free to have your own stance for your own hens.

In my case It's my land , my hens , I understand the local risks and have my own experience from which I form my own stance.

Dogs with no collars are of course not a matter of stance..there are laws which cover this.....their owners are acting illegally if the dogs are not on their own land.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:12:08 pm by stufe35 »

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2016, 08:24:46 am »
I can see,( I think), Chris's viewpoint and have been pondering ways of keeping poultry both safe and happy. I shall have my half a footy field covered with a roof of keeper's netting and if that doesn't work, I shall give up. As it is I must have the most expensive eggs in Britain, unless anyone else can...................................................

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2016, 09:04:42 am »
Devonlady ,  how about trying the single strand of electric fencing about one ft high and one foot away right around the outside of your pen ?

If you have a problem with foxes you have to take suitable action.  In our case we have found it only to be cubbing season, during those months our hens stay pen bound unless we are outside working.

Chris has described what he has found he needs to do in France in his locality .

It should not be impossible to erect a fox proof fence....are you sure they went over it ?

My pen has been successful for many years, but last year one squeezed through the smallest gap imaginable.   The fence is about 6ft -7ft high...they have never got over it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 10:42:53 am by stufe35 »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2016, 10:37:22 am »
My pen has been successful for many years, but last year one squeezed through the tamales the gap imaginable. 

I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant to write. I wish people using predictive text would re-read what their device has actually written before posting!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2016, 10:46:16 am »
Sally...duly corrected !  Not predictive text in this case just a typo...trouble with reading what you've just typed is you tend to read what you think you've written rather than what you have written   :gloomy:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2016, 10:55:09 am »
Sally...duly corrected !  Not predictive text in this case just a typo...trouble with reading what you've just typed is you tend to read what you think you've written rather than what you have written   :gloomy:

Lol.  And thanks  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2016, 01:35:54 pm »
Stufe, no electricity on my land and have tried all sorts of fencing and energisers (my niece works for Hotline) but I found the batteries didn't last long enough. I tried flexinet with a battery and energiser but fox was jumping over the net, killing everything and jumping out again.
And, yes, I've seen them climbing over, the poor beggars, stick thin and desperate! What ARE these silly people thinking!!!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2016, 02:05:28 pm »
Chicken Knox, which seemed to work, was 6' high chain link fence, dug into the ground for 9"-1'.  Three strands of electric, one as low to the ground as you can get away with without the grass keep shorting it out, one about 9" above that, and the third near the very top, to stop 'em climbing over.

If you keep the grass short so it doesn't short the current, a charged battery should last a good long while.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS