Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog attack  (Read 12024 times)

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Dog attack
« on: July 18, 2016, 01:58:50 pm »
Popped home for lunch today to find 2 dogs massacring our hens.

I don't know whos dogs they are but im suspecting it wont take me long to find out.

One of the dogs has been caught so I now know where it is.

Any ideas on the best way to handle this when I find the owners to make sure I get the money for my hens ?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Dog attack
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:18:19 pm »
Involve the police, the dogs need to go on record and the owner be approached formally to ensure something is done.  Otherwise you may find you get a few quid to replace the hens and it happens again because they think that is all they had to do.  That's my personal view anyway.  Partly because if I approached the dog owner they would likely be defensive if not aggressive and I wouldn't need that on top of losing the hens in the first place.  And partly because not knowing who they are at first is your best protection against bad feeling if they then ask why you didn't go to them instead of making an official complaint.  The dog that is 'in custody' as it were, would be taken in and the owners found/informed, then it's nothing to do with you, it's between the owner and the law as it should be (in my opinion). 
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 02:41:11 pm »
Agree with what Ellied said!
Anne

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 02:53:19 pm »
Yup. The dog should be microchipped and traceable.
A caring owner should be concerned that their dog is missing and be looking for it.
Even if the police involvement doesn't get you more than the price of your birds in compensation, it leaves a paper trail and an impression on the mind of the dog owner.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 03:19:25 pm »
Agree with the above, police !

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 03:20:26 pm »
Yes definately police! I am sorry to hear about this though and I hope that you get this sorted soon! :hug:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 03:37:06 pm »
That is not good to hear. I agree, involve the police, dog owners need to u derstand the gravity of letting their animals destroy other people's animals/ livelihood.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 03:38:02 pm »
Sorry to hear about your chickens but totally agree with the others. Let the police do the hard work
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 03:48:30 pm »
So just checked the councils website.

They don't collect dogs out of hours,..... but I can take it to their reception centre.

They remind me if I have detained the dog I am now legally responsible for it. (perhaps we should have just left them to kill the sheep in the next field too ...or would that be negligent ? )  ( I haven't but I know who has)

They point out if its the dogs first time they wont charge the owner.

So my chickens have all been killed...ive caught the dog.....

Now me the innocent party has to either .

.have a day of work while the dog warden comes...
or take the dog in myself....exactly how ive no idea.

Meanwhile the irreisponsible owner who allowed their dogs to escape...just waits for a phone call and rocks up to collect them free of charge.

I have to explain to my kids about the hens, clear up and dispose of the remains..have no eggs..take more time to go and buy more hens...pay for said hens.

Dog owner and lawbreaker 1....innocent party 0
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:08:18 pm by stufe35 »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 03:51:48 pm »
its a pity it wasn't shot on sight. You could request for the dog to be PTS detailing about the amount of damage done and showing evidence of the havoc they have caused. The authorities are obliged to listen to you, but it depends whether they will act or not on this. Do you want to press charges?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 04:06:18 pm »
Really all I want is reimburising for the cost of my hens...and the owners to be more careful to ensure their dogs don't get free again. (im guessing they've escaped from a garden.

I don't really see a mechanism to get my money...I rely on the good will of the dog owner.

If they are none forth coming with their money then I want them to suffer as much inconvenience and cost as possible so they think twice in future.

My mates a lorry driver ..I could have it dropped at a dog warden centre somewhere a couple of hundred miles away !
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:09:35 pm by stufe35 »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 04:16:50 pm »
Really all I want is reimburising for the cost of my hens...and the owners to be more careful to ensure their dogs don't get free again. (im guessing they've escaped from a garden.

I don't really see a mechanism to get my money...I rely on the good will of the dog owner.

If they are none forth coming with their money then I want them to suffer as much inconvenience and cost as possible so they think twice in future.

My mates a lorry driver ..I could have it dropped at a dog warden centre somewhere a couple of hundred miles away !
I understand that you're angry and upset, but that would not be a good idea, you would only make really bitter enemies with the owners and it may happen again because of it. The best thing to do would be to ask the authorities or the police what it is you can do and how to get some compensation for the animals lost, or even take the matter to your solicitor and ask his advice.  Personally I think laws for dog owners letting their dogs roam like that should be stricter and very severe if damage is caused through their own negligence. I don't think that it would make a difference to a really bad dog owner if you caused them some big inconvenience, they would probably just exact their revenge. If you go through a solicitor you could send them an invoice, keeping a copy for yourself, and a letter explaining what damage the dogs have not only done to your flock, but also that they could pose a risk to you to or your family.  Don't write it nastily though make sure its written in a calm controlled manner, so it doesn't appear sarcastic or horrible in any way, just the blunt facts and that you are indeed devestated.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:25:59 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 04:27:15 pm »
I realise the only way to force compensation is legal action...but the costs of solicitors compared to the hens is a joke.

How do I prove how many hens  there were...how do I prove it was these two dogs....I will soon end up a massive bill and no recompence.

I once has a strimmer stolen from my garage...it was found by the police in a known criminals shed...he got off because the police could place him at the scene of the crime.

The law is for rich people and criminals...not us normal hardworking tax payers.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:35:28 pm by stufe35 »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 04:37:53 pm »
I realise the only way to force compensation is legal action...but the costs of solicitors compared to the hens is a joke.

How do I prove how many hens  there were...how do I prove it was these to dogs....I will soon end up a massive bill and no recompence.

I once has a strimmer stolen from my garage...it was found by the police in a known criminals shed...he got off because the police could place him at the scene of the crime.

The law is for rich people and criminals...not us normal hardworking tax payers.
Agree there. Do your hens free range at all? I was looking at this not long ago which may help, it would need moving around a bit though but would certainly give em the shock of their lives http://www.electricfencing.co.uk/poultry_01.asp  I really hope something can be done about this soon! So sorry you have had to go through all this :hug:

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 04:47:08 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts WBF...im not in a bad state...just miffed that im going to have to source £70 worth of new hens...and im at the mercy of a dog owners 'kindness' as to whether I get it back.

I will let you all know  how I get on..i have now formualeted a plan which does involve the police...thanks all for your input.

PS have been toying with the electric fence thing as we do suffer occasional fox attacks and ultimately wish to increase our numbers above ten !

cheers
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:51:56 pm by stufe35 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS