Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: when is a pig too old for chops and joints?  (Read 3021 times)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
when is a pig too old for chops and joints?
« on: July 18, 2016, 09:53:46 am »
I've a February 2015 sow which has had one litter. Middle white / saddleback which I am wanting to butcher. Will she be any good for chops and joints or will she need to go as sausage at this age?

Cheers,

David

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Re: when is a pig too old for chops and joints?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 10:38:53 am »
Sorry, cant help but I'm looking for the answer too!  Mine is a bit younger though - 10 months old and had first litter on friday.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:41:50 am »
She is past being a prime pork pig so personally I would go for sausage, bacon and pies are also an option. That said there will be someone who will tell you they ate their sow and it was fine. It is said the best bacon comes from a young sow after she has had one litter.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 08:04:15 pm »
Wait and see what it looks like when slaughtered. The meat will be darker in colour than a young pig and will have a more mature flavour. Biggest problem might be a high fat content but in my experience there can be some very good meat in an older pig carcass.

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 01:05:26 am »
I think I'll give it a shot. She needs to go.

Re past prime pork - what generally is the upper age limit for prime pork.

Another dumb question - re bacon suggestion. Bacon would be from the loin - is it done from the belly too? Roughly how much bacon would I get from her - she's about 110kg.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 08:09:02 am »

Another dumb question - re bacon suggestion. Bacon would be from the loin - is it done from the belly too? Roughly how much bacon would I get from her - she's about 110kg.

Streaky from the belly :)

10-12kg maybe?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 02:59:24 pm »
If you don't want pork what about this. Loins and bellies for bacon. Legs cured for gammon. Shoulders for sausages. Job's a good 'un.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 10:11:52 pm »
I'd get a couple of joints or gigots - slow cooked (in cider) they'll fall to pieces and you'll get the best 'pulled pork' of your life  ;)
And don't forget burgers - good to have some pork and apple or chilli on standby for sunny bbq days  :yum:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 11:25:23 pm »

You can also get cheek bacon, some of the nicest so I am told.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS