Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Birchlea  (Read 1930 times)

Birchlea

• Joined Jul 2016
  • East Sussex
Birchlea
« on: July 17, 2016, 10:34:29 am »
Hi all.

We have just become, for the first time, the owners of five Soay sheep. Two ewes, a neutered ram and two lambs. We know absolutely nothing about sheep keeping so will be learning on the hoof (quite literally!)

There may be a few silly questions but we will try to research before we ask.

We are East Sussex based on a small Thre acre plot which should be enough for our sheep.

Thanks in anticipation.

Birchlea
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food!

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Birchlea
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 07:36:35 am »
Hi, and welcome.  :wave:
Wealth of experience on here so ask away

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 08:55:45 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum. I think the watchword on here is "the only silly question is the one you don't ask!"

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 08:57:37 am »
Hello and welcome.

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/sheep/

And Tim Tyne's book "The Sheep Book for Smallholders"

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 09:44:00 am »
Welcome, and congratulations on your sheep.  Soays are supposed to be one of the better breeds in terms of not needing too much intervention, so fingers crossed yours will live up to that and give you a good introduction to sheep keeping without too many dramas.  Very pretty little things, aren't they?  Feel free to post us a picture or two ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 10:58:53 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum [member=162352]Birchlea[/member], really great to have you aboard. Congratulations on the new sheep, wishing you all the best with them (they're true characters ;) )  As for questions go ahead, nothing is too silly to ask about sheep and we would be happy to answer, after all this is what we're here for. Enjoy the ride! :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 06:26:27 pm »

Hi Birchlea,

Welcome to TAS. :wave:

I can thoroughly recommend [size=78%]http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/sheep/.  [/size]
[/size]
[/size]The advice on this site is invaluable. I don't know what I would have done without it.[size=78%] :)  It is also worth reading the diaries from the beginning. They give a very good account of the seasonal  rhythms of smallholding life.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 11:10:49 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from sunny Shropshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS