Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lost the pig  (Read 8573 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Lost the pig
« on: July 15, 2016, 05:15:20 pm »
Now, Babe is renowned in the neighbourhood for hoicking gates off, making holes in hedges and going for a short gadabout. Her dear old crubeens mean she can't venture far (like going for a walk in high heels!) and someone always 'phones me with a "pig alert".
However she has been missing since yesterday am and I've searched the lanes and tracks for miles and not a sign of her. I'm so worried that someone has shut her in somewhere without water or that she's been stolen for sausages.
I've even 'phoned the dog warden and the local police. The RSPCA were, as usual, next to useless!
What else can I do?

HappyHippy

Re: Lost the pig
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 05:40:09 pm »
Check where the boars are in the area - my gut feeling is that she's in season and off trying to find a man  ;)
Signs/phone calls to local vets and agristores to put the word out that she's gone walkabout and some posters / signs around your land. Hopefully hunger will get the better of her and she'll be home for tea  :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 07:28:42 pm »
 :fc: she returns, or someone sees her and calls you  :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 07:36:43 pm »
Get a post out on Facebook.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 12:32:54 am »
So worrying. I hope she is home soon.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 08:19:02 am »
I am so sorry to hear this Devonlady, I hope you find her soon!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 10:18:28 am »
Has she turned up yet ?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 11:04:02 am »
If she turns up you need to drill a hole in the hinge and pop in a pin to stop her lifting the gate off...
Surely they aren't the easiest animals to steal  :o to big with o handles!

Hope she turns up  :fc:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 02:10:22 pm »
The third day now and not a sign of her. My grandson and I have been searching the hedgerows "just in case" but nothing. I have an awful feeling that she is no longer in this world but I wish I knew!
HH she went regularly down the fields to my neighbour to snog his Large White boar through the bars of his enclosure but always wandered back again.
My son will put her on fb.but I don't think anything will come of it.
Something feels very final.

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 02:22:18 pm »
 :(  :hug: :hug: :hug:
What breed/age is she? I can send Reiki if you want?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 02:36:57 pm »
just shared on twitter, really hope you find her soon!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 06:21:05 pm »
:(  :hug: :hug: :hug:
What breed/age is she? I can send Reiki if you want?

HH, she is a Kunekune, 8 years old. She has never strayed more than a quarter of a mile. My son, Raven has a real sense of knowing where animals are, he has found 2 dogs and a cat who had somehow shut herself into a suitcase under a spare room bed!! but he can't find her.
HH if you can help, even if it's bad news I would be so thankful.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 09:22:22 pm »
I do hope you find her  :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 10:49:37 pm »
Facebook?  I've posted a public message but a photo would be helpful
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 12:02:06 am »
Reall feel for you.   Whatever the outcome,  you want to know.

One if my Kune Kune sows is a nightmare.   Scales the drystone wall and off see goes.   Turned up in the 20 acre field bext door.   Must havevgone under the locked gate,  .  And I had to get her back under itvand along the track.

Then twice she went up the track,  across the lane,  up a drive to the cinverted barn and climbed the steps to the front door .   The owners brought her back.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS