Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farrowing Help!  (Read 3692 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Farrowing Help!
« on: July 15, 2016, 04:02:18 pm »
I just popped home to check on my in pig gilts to find one has started farrowing.  There are 4 piglets dotted round the run, clearly not born inside, and as it's the mothers first time, she has no idea what is going, and is scared of the piglets.  She is standing in the far corner of her run and will not move for anything.  I have no idea if there are more to come.
I have put the piglets in a cardboard box under a heat lamp and they are drinking milk from the bottle quite easily.
Where do you think I should go from here?  I want to get the piglets feeding from her and I know she has milk.  Do I just wait and hope she settles?
Thanks.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Farrowing Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:23:52 pm »
Hmm sounds unusual, none opf our first timers were ever confused or scared of their piglets.
You sure it wasn't your interference that caused her to back into a corner?
Piglets can be quite mobile quite early on, we had some farrow yesterday and the piglets are exploring outside the door already

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 04:33:45 pm »
No, I'm quite sure it wasn't me that upset her as she was already standing in her corner spot when I arrived. 
I'm not experienced with farrowing at all, but my last sow had 3 litters and there weren't any problems so it seems strange. 
I must add, this gilt shouldn't have got in pig, and is only 11 months old. 

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 05:44:26 pm »
Try and calm her down, stroking her side/belly should encourage her to lie down. If you can get her to let the piglets suckle this will encourage the release of natural oxytocin which will help with the remainder of the birthing process.
As a youngster, you might find she only has 4 - but important to get the piglets suckling (for colostrum for them) asap. In the event that she'll not settle you can either get her a jab of sedative from the vet or give her a couple of cans of sweetheart stout to help her chill out a bit.
HTH

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 05:49:47 pm »
Thanks, she has had 6 piglets and finished giving birth.  She had the last two piglets inside the house but was trying to bite them and kept flicking them away, so I have removed them too.  I will try getting her to lie down now!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 05:57:36 pm »
What breed is she?    Native breeds are generally calm mothers but this one sounds confused and frightened.  If you can gently persuade her to lie down long enough to milk her off it may help her calm down a bit.  Otherwise a bottle of stout may do the trick.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 07:29:38 pm »
The longer you keep the piglets away from her the less chance of getting her to take them. Some sows occasionally won't have their piglets until they have had the last one. The best place to put them is in the corner of the pen behind some straw bales out of the way. This is where a pig crate comes in handy as you can contain your sow whilst the piglets get chance to suck.

If you fill them full of milk they wont suck. Has she got milk?

If you can get her to lie down then you can let the piglets to her. Keep a board with you for you own protection but also you can put it so she can't see the piglets until you get them all sucking. Have you got help. Leave the door off the latch in case you need a quick exit.

I have never found stout any use at all and suggest sedative the best option.

If she really has a go at them you might have to accept she isn't going to have them.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 01:38:09 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately, she hasn't accepted them and I think it's too late to keep trying. 
Last night she lay down and let me milk her, which I fed to the piglets so they have had colostrum.  As soon as I put the piglets to her, she jumped up.  We then thought a pig crate would come in handy, so we made one with 2 metal hurdles and timber across the ends.  we had it all secured and ready by early hours this morning, and got the sow in there....as soon as she realised she was trapped, she became quite vicious and kept charging at the timber ends, eventually managing to break her way out of the 4 by 2 planks!!! ......she was stronger than we thought!! 

I think I will get a bottle of sedative just in case anything like this happens again.

Anyway, the piglets are slowly learning to drink milk from a tray  :relief:

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 01:43:05 pm »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 03:23:18 pm »
That's a shame. You have been very unlucky. I wouldn't breed again from her.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 10:07:54 am »
No I won't be breeding from her again!!! Although she seems to want them now it's too late, she has mastitis and I can't get any milk from her

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 01:48:38 pm »
Have you had a word with your vet?  The mastitis will need treating. 

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 03:35:07 pm »
I haven't spoken to the vets, but she is booked in for slaughter first thing tomorrow morning!  She doesn't seem as though she is in pain, so hopefully it's ok.

The piglets are doing well though  ;D
I have colostrum arriving for them tomorrow - is it too late to feed to them?  It's the soonest I could get some  :-\

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 03:53:33 pm »
Here is some info for you..... http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/2365/colostrum-food-for-life/
Hope this helps and am sorry that you have to rear them all by yourself, can't be easy. All the best and do let us know how you get on! :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 10:27:10 am »
Thanks, very helpful site.
My next gilt farrowed last night successfully with 7  :excited: and I've put the 3 strongest orphans on her too...all going well so far.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS