Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New piglets  (Read 2009 times)

Alwfh

• Joined Jul 2016
New piglets
« on: July 14, 2016, 10:28:53 pm »
I'm just looking nice for some all round advice really. I had pigs last year and it went great but I'm just seeing what ideas others had. I'm hopefully getting some pietrain x Welsh weaners at the beginning of August. They'll be 8 weeks old.
Just wondering on people's thoughts of the breed and what they would recommend on feeding them! Thanks!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: New piglets
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:57:31 am »
I would ask the breeder if you could buy some of whatever they've been weaned onto, then you can gradually put them on your chosen feed.
Commercial growers pellets have everything in them that the pigs will need, plus treats of apple, pear, banana. Carrots from your livestock store are very cheap and will keep them busy and happy, but  these should be given in between feeds, not instead of.
Happy pig-keeping!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 09:55:35 am »
Sow & weaner nuts to finish.  All they can completely clear in 20 minutes at weaning then gradually reduce each week to all they can completely clear in 10 minutes by slaughter.  Boars will finish around two weeks earlier than gilts and that particular crossbreed probably a fortnight earlier than my GOS, which is generally around 23 weeks for boars and 25 for gilts.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 12:33:37 pm »
It's nice to try different breeds when you are doing weaners. I had saddlebacks year one, GOS X S&Bs year two and Berkshires year three. All had there merits, the crosses were the most lively/destructive and the Berkshires for me, had the edge on flavour and on personality, but they are smaller than the others (a bit). So now we are going to start breeding Berkshires.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 01:38:12 pm »
I had Pietrain x Large White Gilts last time, really lovely pigs although need to do some more tasting before I make up my mind, they only went a week ago. Have had Saddlebacks and GOS last year as have also been trying out different breeds about to get OSB next month.

Haven't got anything to add on feed, just we reduce food slightly if we are being generous on treats, but I think it gives them more pleasure hunting for the carrots than constantly eating out of a bowl.

The only thing to suggest about getting pigs in August is it generally means they are 6 months at Christmas and many abbatoirs get booked up way in advance as it is the busy season with some refusing to book in any in December. So plan out when you want them to go by booking early or realising you will have them until the new year.
________
Caroline

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 07:32:37 pm »
Pietrain and Welsh are both fast growing pigs so you could easily have them ready for Xmas.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 11:22:33 am »
We are in our 3rd year of bringing on Pietrain x Welsh and they have all been great. They grow quickly and produce great meat. We just feed them with sow nuts using the feed calculator from this site.

Good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS