Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Update - It's been a bad week  (Read 2619 times)

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
Update - It's been a bad week
« on: July 13, 2016, 05:13:06 pm »
Brother-in-law died last Tuesday. Lost my favourite sheep on Wednesday - Basil the GFD wether in my profile pic, always ran up for a cuddle, baa-ing and pleased to see me. I saw he wasn't grazing or peeing, gave him a shot of AB and called vet. Despite more ABs and anti-inflammatories, he went downhill very quickly and I decided the kindest thing was to have him put to sleep. Suspected bladder stone although he'd never had hard feed. FUneral of a dear friend Monday.

Finally had remaining sheep shorn last Thursday and this morning found one of the Shetland ewes with an abscess under her jaw. Vet suspects CLA caught by shearing. However, when vet arrived, sheep leapt out of the pen into the big field and couldn't be caught so I still don't know. I thought CLA had a long incubation period and am hoping against hope it is just a normal abscess from a shearing cut. I understand that if it is CLA and abscess ruptures she can infect the others and I could lose them all. Fingers crossed.  :gloomy: :tired:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:25:14 am by Blackbird »
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: It's been a bad week
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:32:03 pm »
 :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 07:55:28 pm »
 :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 08:12:40 pm »
 :bouquet: :hug:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 09:10:19 pm »
That IS a bad week.  BUT Basil had a great life, by the sound of it and check out CLA info for sites of abscesses.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 10:13:07 pm »
You are having a rotten time  :hug: .  My GFD wether is Archie and also a cuddly boy, some of them get into your soul.

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 07:01:30 pm »
that is a bad week  :hug:  hope things improve and the abcess is easily resolved

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 09:38:32 pm »
*Hugs* I hope this week is better for you :fc:

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
Update: It's been a bad week
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 11:24:06 am »
Thank you for all your hugs and thoughts, people. Ewe's abscess did rupture so whisked the other sheep out of the field. Vet came and flushed it out (yuck!) and took sample of pus and blood. Pus sample has come back negative (still waiting for blood sample) but vet thinks 99.9% certain that it is not CLA. Ewe now back in with the others and very happy. So very relieved! Sheep eh? who'd have 'em....  :relief:
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Update - It's been a bad week
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 12:12:40 pm »
I am so sorry to hear this [member=25931]Blackbird[/member] It all sounds dreadful. Sometimes life just throws bad stuff in your way and you have to try and cope with it. I hope things get better for you soon and keep smiling :hug: :hug:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS