Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen breeds for meat  (Read 2158 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Hen breeds for meat
« on: July 12, 2016, 09:58:19 pm »
We are currently eating our own pork, bacon and lamb and soon will have a freezer full of beef as well. Plus we rear our own turkeys for Christmas and are happy to despatch a duck every so often for a treat.

The only meat that we eat and don't produce is chicken - I always try to buy free-range; but would like to shift to producing our own but my partner thinks it would be too much like hard work. I want to give it a try nonetheless, as I think meat chickens often get a raw deal and ours would have a lovely, carefree, happy, free-range life until they were killed.

What breeds would you recommend for the table, what age should I buy them (no incubater here) and what age should we expect to kill them?

Thanks!

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Re: Hen breeds for meat
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 10:02:32 pm »
Hi there
Have a look on the thread further down it has a lot of pages but some good info on there
I have LS and LSxIG first time progeny but all over 1kg after 9 weeks
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

dr241000

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Saxmundham, Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:03:48 pm »

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:06:16 pm »
That's the one ha
I have put on some spreadsheets of how the birds are growing this will help select my breeding flock
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

dr241000

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Saxmundham, Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 10:07:33 pm »
Sorry it was the same as Princessrubyk's. :P

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 11:45:23 pm »
Yes Im going to have a go but it'll be in the spring now as we pasture raise.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 10:26:16 am »
Hi FW sounds like you have a nice setup  :thumbsup:

I think the breed would depend on whether you want a sustainable flock ie, breed yourself keeping hens for laying and cockerels for the table in which case go for something like a Light Sussex or other Duel purpose breed you like, or whether you are looking for purely a meat crop ie, buy in day old chicks rear them all and process at desired weight, in which case I would go for hybrids which finish in half the time of traditional breeds.
There are also hybrids which are designed to free range, they take a few more weeks to finish but are much healthier than the Ross/Cobb supermarket Frankenstein chickens.

Yeah have a look on that other thread and join in with the crack, you will see they are quite easy to rear.

Dave.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:28:32 am by Dave C »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS