Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi -everyone - a new 4 acre small holding in the borders  (Read 3939 times)

Rayandpaula

• Joined May 2010
Hi -everyone - a new 4 acre small holding in the borders
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:06:01 pm »
Hi evryone, we have recently taken over a very neglected 4 acre small holding in the borders with a 1 acre pond. Can anyone give us any advice on grants or funding schemes. We have a wide range of wildlife and are keen to manage this conservation value along with managing the land for production. Hope someone can help - we have been told that there is support out there, but at present it seems very complicated. many thanks, Ray

And of course it would be great to hear from other small holders, especially in the borders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hi -everyone - a new 4 acre small holding in the borders
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:32:26 pm »
Hi and welcome. I don't really know about grants and stuff but maybe you could start with your SAC office - Scottish Agricultural College. They have advisers who should be able to help.

Sounds like a great project, though.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:33:20 pm »
Good luck, and welcome to TAS forum.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 02:53:19 pm »
Hi welcome, please pass on any advice you receive re wildlife conservation. 

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 06:53:11 pm »

Hi and welcome from another Borders smallholder, sorry can't help with grants or funding but good luck.  :wave:
Anne

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 09:26:15 pm »
Hello and welcome from me in Clackmannannannan!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 08:00:41 pm »
hello and welcome from the middle of England
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 09:50:54 pm »
I take it you mean the Scottish Borders. Hello, the from another Borderer. Whereabouts in the Borders?

I think it will be difficult to get grants of your holding is only 4 acres, as you probably will have to register as a business/farm? We have 9 acres + rented land and cannot get any farm payments or similar. But lots of webtrawling may be useful, and looking through some of the EU funding initiatives, maybe under LEADER?

For more local possibilities contact the ranger service from the council, they might have a idea.

Teresa

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 08:00:50 pm »
Evening :D have you tried Business link? They have grant information and you can see whats avaliable in your area. Good luck T :hshoe:

Rayandpaula

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:37:19 pm »
Hello to everyone,

Yes, should have said the scottish borders (near foulden). Many thanks for all of the suggestions. I will certainly let people know of any progress re funding. best wishes, ray

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 10:51:13 pm »

You are not far from me then I am in Reston. I have about 6 acres and did think about looking at grants etc but I hate paperwork and when I got this mass to fill in I am afraid that i gave up
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS