Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When should I let my hen and her chicks out of the hen house and into the run?  (Read 1265 times)

gillyofthegables

• Joined Jul 2016
We have a bantam Maran hen that sat on five silkie eggs which hatched 11 days ago.  We moved them from a small house to a larger chicken house but have not let them out of the house yet. We leave the roof open during the daytime (and protected from marauding crows with wire netting) so they get plenty of sunlight and fresh air.  I dont know when we should let the chicks and their mother out of the house and into the surrounding ground as the chicks are so small and seem so vulnerable.  I am also worried that they could get lost or stuck under the chicken house which is raised off the ground on a platform. We always put our other hens away at night so would definitely want to put mum and chicks back in their hen house at night.  Any ideas gratefully received. 

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Mum should look after them and when I last had a broody with chicks, I gave them their own little run so they could learn how to scratch and start building their immune system up by being outside, but still giving them protection.
________
Caroline

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
My broodies rear there chicks in an Ark with a 6' run, this protects them from crows & magpies, I move it daily so they get fresh grass.

Depending on there breed & size I let mine out to free range around 5-6 weeks and leave Mam with them until about 8 weeks if she's happy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS