Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are there no crafts going on?  (Read 12272 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Are there no crafts going on?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 09:36:29 am »
I love the idea of a crocheted bear. Don't forget the picture of it when it's finished.

A crochety bear?  I suppose they can be grumpy sometimes  :idea:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 03:59:58 pm »
My handbag doesn't usually contain too many odd items (apart from pony nuts, pliers and crochet hooks of course), but all my jeans and jacket pockets seem to contain just enough baler twine to be useful!
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2016, 06:12:31 pm »
I went back to Jim's workshop since replying to this post and I've booked to go about once a month (all I can afford right now) to complete the oak/elm cabinet with a new design that has no doors cos the internal shelf is just too nice to hide!  The door wood is now going to be the top of a wee natural edge oak occasional table along the lines of the pitch pine one I made a couple years ago.  And because I need to go to Scottish Wood to buy more oak for the table to have legs.. well let's just say I will have an empty 4x4 boot on the way down.. ;) 

He's also started making boxes with dovetail corners - he was learning when I was last going regularly and taught me some basics but I never bought the dovetail jig and saw to do it myself.  Now I've seen some of what he's been creating I think I might like to have a go as it is something small enough to do on a table at home in winter.

Hmm, think I may have the bug again!  I wish I could post photos of my stuff here but I still can't work it out!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 06:41:45 pm »
ellied, we would love to see pics too.

Perhaps you can explain the problem and someone (not me) may be able to help
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

muddypuddle

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2016, 12:03:25 pm »

If this hasn't worked, how do I post pictures to a thread? It should be a picture of my first attempt at a crochet bear.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 12:32:42 pm »
It's worked and she's lovely  :thumbsup:

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2016, 07:00:28 pm »
I have just spent a whole day spinning at Yealmpton show in south Devon. There was so much interest in spinning, I have almost lost my voice talking and explaining! And soooo many comments about Sleeping Beauty!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2016, 07:08:08 pm »
I have just spent a whole day spinning at Yealmpton show in south Devon. There was so much interest in spinning, I have almost lost my voice talking and explaining! And soooo many comments about Sleeping Beauty!

Get them to find the needle she pricked herself with on your wheel  :thinking:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 07:12:15 pm »
The number of people who said we were knitting or sewing when they spotted us at a show last weekend was astounding.  One twenty something lad told me his granny used to sew on a machine like mine.  Mine is a majacraft wheel...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2016, 07:24:12 pm »
The number of people who said we were knitting or sewing when they spotted us at a show last weekend was astounding.  One twenty something lad told me his granny used to sew on a machine like mine.  Mine is a majacraft wheel...

Our role is to educate  ;D.  I used to sit next to the sheep pens spinning at the Highland Show (it can otherwise be very boring) and there was always a crowd around. Funnily enough the men were far more interested in general than the women, mostly in how the wheel works.  I found it helpful to have a spindle to hand, to show that a wheel is just a complicated way to do exactly the same job as the spindle  :spin:
Women came in 2 varieties, those who thought the whole thing was weird, and those who really wanted a go.  There were even a few who went away with the intention of learning - those were the best.  I am always fascinated by how quickly children learn to spin - minutes instead of weeks  :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2016, 08:23:53 pm »

Get them to find the needle she pricked herself with on your wheel  :thinking:

I do have a quill spindle for my Traddy, now.  But I don't think I'd want to have it at a public event, or it really could impale someone!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2016, 09:08:57 pm »
I did mention distaffs for flax spinning as a possible point for Sleeping Beauty to impale herself on, so I was trying to add a little education! I find men are fascinated by the engineering of the wheel, and children usually tell me it is really cool! I shall be going to two more shows this summer, so lots more opportunity to educate the non spinning public. And recruit a few more to the fold!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2016, 12:07:08 am »
I always say that she pricked her finger on a thorn in the fleece.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2016, 07:53:19 am »
She was probably using a great wheel with a very sharp spindle.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2016, 07:32:19 am »
ellied, we would love to see pics too.

Perhaps you can explain the problem and someone (not me) may be able to help

The basic problem is I take pics on my old BlackBerry and have options to text email or send to Facebook.  The photobucket site I had I have lost somehow in changing computers last year and it was a faff sending emails from phone to PC uploading to photobucket and making links work anyway. And my webs sites were frozen because I went over the free allowance and they wanted me to pay business rate which I can't justify for the light traffic and marginal sales potential.  It was mostly a blog for its own sake.  But they denied me access to reduce the memory used so I couldn't make it what it should be.  They held me over a barrel and I refused to be blackmailed for my memories.  Standoff.

So I have spent the last few days making a Facebook page for the holding and stud as the webs websites were not going to be resolved and I'm told a FB page is the way to go.  It seems to be true from views and likes in a couple of days.

There are a lot of pony photos plus some of hens to be built up with regular chick updates so they hopefully sell quickly as they reach the right age, and a photo album for the crafts which has some woodcraft items to give an idea what I've done so far.  Tho it needs more focus and info.  And I will add my novice knitting in from last year's thread when I made the scarf!  And some felted and other things now I am not limited in picture size/numbers.

Link in my sig SHOULD work.. Still working on it for more content and open to any helpful feedback on how to make the best of the FB format as updates are fine but other than trawling pics I'm not sure how folk will see more.  I am thinking that the massage/therapies side needs to be a separate page, still to do that and somehow cross reference the two..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS