Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sausage makers vs sausage stuffers  (Read 3327 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
sausage makers vs sausage stuffers
« on: July 08, 2016, 11:38:01 pm »
Thinking about having a go at making our own sausages and I have been offered a sausage stuffer but I'm a bit clueless. I had imagined that it would have the grinder on it but it's just the stuffer. I then looked at sausage makers (do the grinding and stuffing) and they seem cheaper than the stuffers???

Are the electric do it all ones more likely to break or just not as good as a hand powered grinder and stuffer separately. I'm tempted to just get one of the do it all ones but I don't really want it to break after a couple of uses or find out it just isn't suitable.

Any advice?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: sausage makers vs sausage stuffers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 09:40:05 am »
I bought one from nextday catering. Minced and has sausage attachments. Called butchers sundries. It's the bees knees :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 11:36:06 am »
Having had both, a stand alone stuffer is way quicker if you plan on making big quantities.
The combined ones can sometimes struggle and as a result the meat heats as it's minced which spoils the texture.
If you're getting a butcher to do your cutting, ask them to make you mince for sausages (80% lean 20% fat) and pack in 1 or 5 kilo packs then you can freeze the majority and defrost/make when you are ready. Commercial mincers make short work of mincing 10 kilos of pork - you'd have to have a couple of hours spare to do that with a little mincer/stuffer combined.
I used mine twice, maybe 3 times before getting the stand alone one.
HTH

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 04:25:00 pm »
I agree with HappyHippy - we have a meat grinder with sausage stuffer attachment - but it really struggled to do the stuffing, the grinding was fine. We have now got a stand alone stuffer as well which is WAY more efficient and easier

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 01:26:00 am »
Thanks guys. I think I will go for a separate stuffer and ask for the meat to be minced by the butcher for us to start. Now I just need to work out how much to offer for a 5L second hand stuffer.  :fc: I'll be posting about the tasty sausages we've made soon!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 05:12:59 pm »
It'll have cost a minimum of £100 when new, so factor in condition etc. If it's stainless steel, has different nozzle sizes and in good nick then £50-£60 would be fair IMHO.
HTH

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 06:20:01 pm »
Good luck with the sausage making, I have just spent the past 3 days sausage making and we have a mincer we bought second hand from a butchers who was upgrading and a 5L upright stuffer which was so much easier than the little one we had been given the year before. The stuffer was a Christmas Present but I think with a bit of online research we got for about £80-£90 new.

Highly recommend Weschenfelder for all bits and pieces needed to do with processing (although not necessarily equipment).
________
Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS