Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from Greenloaning Perthshire  (Read 4727 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Hi from Greenloaning Perthshire
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 09:12:35 am »
There are actually quite a lot more breeders of longhorns than there used to be. There is actually a guy somewhete in England breeding a very big herd for meat, he sells it commercial am sure. When we started farming we kept longhorn cattle, a nice medium herd of them and they were lovely placid creatures. We gave them up though to focus on the buffalo, a decision still regretted to this day, but had to be done. In some ways, we did want to keep both but couldnt manage; it was either one or the other and it was the cows sadly which had, had their day. We got them thtough the ancie t cattle of wales, I think it was. I have a friend who breeds them for meat, it is delish!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Kinburn 1919

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: Hi from Greenloaning Perthshire
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 03:06:59 pm »
Hi ,  I was just supplying the silage and hay for them as I had surplus..., for a chap who lived at Braco Castle, they were just down past the service station at Balhaldie on the old shooting range, but he has now sold to a Dealer as the M.O.D wanted the land cleared, there would have been nearly 50 cattle in all, I think he started off with a few and ended up with a lot, not sure if he was a member of the society. He gave me a heifer and calf as a gift for looking after them, as I was involved with the actual feeding of them while he was at his paid job..lovely cattle ..at least I have 2 of my own.. I didn't let the young heifer go with the bull, thought I would give her a year off and get her condition a lot better, I plan to keep her female calf for breeding too but not sure, if I will be keeping the breeding pure..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS