Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suckling goat advice needed, please.  (Read 8237 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Suckling goat advice needed, please.
« on: July 06, 2016, 11:38:18 pm »
When a goat of mine had a very difficult kidding with two live (out of three) births, Pom, my older goat, cleaned them up as the mother was exhausted. She then fed them, as did their mother so they just suckled from whoever was nearest.

Now, despite being separated from the babies for a week (only by a hurdle so she could still see the others) she is feeding the babies again and I am hardly getting enough milk to merit using the bucket. I've only actually seen her do it twice but her yield has virtually stopped so they must be getting it.

I was hoping to milk her through until next year as I am not intending breeding from her again, and I don't want her drying up as the kids take less and less, which happened last time despite the fact I was milking once a day. Does anyone have any idea how I can stop this? It's not practical to separate them unless I confine her to the shed the whole time which I think would be cruel.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Suckling goat advice needed, please.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 06:37:27 am »
One of my older does just wants to feed babies, never mind whose and one year let them suck  again after being separated for several weeks.  Not sure there's any solution except separating them which I know you can't do.
Are they old enough to wean and sell?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 10:48:06 am »
No they're only 3 weeks and I am going to keep the female and eat the male.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 11:22:25 am »
maybe get your crafty head on and make her a bra so they can't get to her teats
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 03:09:07 pm »
maybe get your crafty head on and make her a bra so they can't get to her teats

That would be my only suggestion here too.... that's the reason why mine are taken off at 4 days old and bottle-reared.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 05:54:07 pm »
I did wonder about a booby bag. Anyone got a pattern?  :roflanim:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 06:26:25 pm »

It was discussed on GoatyFriends some time ago I seem to remember...

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 08:41:32 pm »
Bless her, she really is the ultimate, stereotypical nanny goat!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 12:58:33 am »

It was discussed on GoatyFriends some time ago I seem to remember...

I thought I remembered something but wasn't sure where I had seen it. Can anyone remember where? I've tried searching udder, udder bags and boob.

Kate, you're right there. It's just as well I don't have several goats with kids. She'd be trying to feed the lot.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 06:15:10 am »
Do you only milk at night?

I separate the kids overnight and have the morning milk and the kids suck all day. 
Could you do it that way around.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 08:14:56 am »
Perhalps a solid partition but a bra or body suit would be a good idea. This is why I bottle feed kids this year. I left kids on one mum, fine to start with then she decided she only wants to feed one kid. I then started stripping her out. then she decided she did not want to feed her remaining kid but preferred me to hand milk her.So I had a lot of work getting the kids on a bottle or bucket . I had another goat who fed her kids and let me  strip her out then I could not wean them -resorted to sending the kids to my mums house for the summer 6 months later came back and suckled their mother straight away who I wanted to run through in milk.Kept separate then spring turnout the goat happily let her  goatling daughter suckle. Resorted to drying her of and sending her to my mums and now she has kidded again all is well. good luck

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 08:26:22 am »
Is 3 weeks not awfully early to wean?
We usually leave ours to wean naturally about 5/6 months as it really doesn't matter how many weeks we separate then they go straight back.
We were going to lift at 3 days and bottle feed triplets from our saanen this year, but fostered a kid to a lady whose goat had stillborn kids.
So my saanens have both twins, and produce a little milk, which I can increase by shutting apart overnight.
However, my 50% Boer 50% saanen, who is 2 years old is rearing triplets and still giving about 1l every 2 days without splitting her off, so I'm very impressed with the cross!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 08:34:01 am »
MGWM is not trying to wean at three weeks, just trying to stop the kids suckling from the goat that is not their mother! Pom is just a bit maternal and will happily let any kid going suckle from her, even when their mother is in the pen with them. Separating Pom overnight and milking in the morning does seem like a possible solution if you can't find a way of fitting her with a bra of sorts.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 02:35:29 pm »
Scarlet dragon, that's perfect and I am going to make one for her. The other suggestion - to separate Pom from the rest at night and milk her in the morning - is also a good idea, although, physically I am not very good in the morning.

I want to leave the babies on their mum until the wean naturally and I'm going to start milking her soon, not so much in the expectation of getting much milk but to keep the yield from dropping as the babies start taking less. Getting a litre a day would be wonderful but I don't hold out much hope. Caldi's mum was a Saanen X Boer and I didn't get much from her at all. Once her twins were weaned she dried up.  :rant:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 11:46:23 pm »
Well the bra is on. Pom didn't even make a fuss about it although she is a bit bemused by the fact that her udder appears to be lower. It'll be interesting to see how much milk I get tomorrow. Tonight's was just enough to dirty the pail.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS