Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to manage the size of the herd?  (Read 3285 times)

pathfinder05

• Joined Jul 2016
How to manage the size of the herd?
« on: July 02, 2016, 06:16:16 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm interested in getting five goats, all female, and one male, all for the milk.

As I understand it, a goat needs to give birth so as to become full of milk.  This I grasp.

But what happens to the baby goats?  I don't want to double the size of my herd every time they breed.

So my question is ... what do I do with the young goats?  I don't want to kill them, but I am not opposed to the idea someone will take them to raise them for their meat.  I wouldn't even want to be paid for them.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: How to manage the size of the herd?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 07:43:25 am »
Firstly why 5 .... sounds like a lot of milk to me and 5 to 10 kids to dispose of every year or 2  is a lot! 

Please don't consider giving them away -apart from undermining anyone else on here who is trying to make a living from goat breeding - this encourages people who really shouldn't have animals to get them .  (On the other hand if you want to give them to me then thank you  :innocent:)

echo Scarlet on the breed angle.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 06:38:55 pm »
You would be best to start with 2 and research your area. contact local goat club for breeders in your area. A lot of breeders have males at stud so if one near by no need to keep your own male. Also what dairy breed do you want, some breeds and top end genetics will produce milk for 2years without kidding. Can be up to 9 kg daily at peak drop down to3/ 4 through the winter and continue milking the following yearSome breeds are more like 3/4 kg peak a dayy drop to 1/2 through winter but pick up 3/4 following year but usually mated again second autum from start of lactation. British saanen goats can even milk without kidding for longer it is not unheard of only to kid twice in their  lifetime. Your first female kids can be retained in the herd, the males if from good pedigree may be able to go on for breeding, otherwise castrate and rear for your own freezer or meat market or pet(limited market) It also depends on where you live in some parts of the country stock is in short supply and thereis a high demand especially for mlkers whilst in other areas it can be difficult to sell stock (also there may not be a slaughterhouse near enough that will do goats if rearing surplus male kids for freezer. I would reccommend no more than 3 top end British goats to hand milk more you would need a mlking machine. I milk 5 at the momment about 20kg milk a day but are the 2-5 kg a day bracket but are a rare breed and is plenty milk for me and kids pet lambs/calves/dogs!. I would not manage if all were at peak yield giving 4/5 kg they are a mixture of different stages of lactation.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 06:05:14 am »
Could you clarify something please.
When you say kg of milk is that the same as litres, I'm sure only show / milk recording people weigh their milk.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 06:30:07 am »
Could you clarify something please.
When you say kg of milk is that the same as litres, I'm sure only show / milk recording people weigh their milk.

Evn though I do show (and offiiclally milk record) every goatkeeper should record daiy yields, and that only works accurately if weighed. Reduction of milk yield - either sudden or over a few days - is an indication that something is wrong, and often the first clue to worm load, (subclinical) mastitis etc.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 06:59:40 am »
1kg = 1 litre and 1lb 5oz = 1 pint

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 05:50:17 pm »
Weighing is more accurate as there is often a lot of foam making the yield in litres look a lot more than it actually is.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 11:23:31 am »
Start small and you will become hooked on goats, start with too many and you will struggle and become disheartened.
Is there a goat keeper near you who will let you practise on their goats and give you an idea of how many are a joy. Google your local smallholder association or goat club.
The majority of goat keepers (as you have found on here) are only too ready to help.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 03:26:58 pm »
5 in one go sounds like a challenge.

I got 4 kids last year and plan to mate 2 this year and 2 next year, which will also give me some practice at handmilking. There is always going to be an issue of what to do with the kids and if you are not keen on eating, I would probably start out with a smaller number. Whilst it is possible to sell, like with all animals if you get the majority born as males it is going to be much harder to find homes.

Good luck

________
Caroline

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 10:45:17 am »
Don't get a male if you can avoid it! :-).
Fine during summer if they can be outside, but they STINK in winter, if not careful you will smell, your house will smell, people will move away from you in public, (maybe not a bad thing in a supermarket queue, but embarrassing). And no it hasn't happened to me LOL.
Choose your breed, i have Toggenburg,  mine dry off in September, I kept a daughter,  her sire was a BS, she milks through winter and the following summer, so only kids every 2 years.
The advice always used to be get 2, mate up alternate years, and run one through.
As the meat market picks up, there are now people asking for unwanted kids to fatten, or you can have them put down at birth, but that is a wastest of a life.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS