Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 5736 times)

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
Finally!
« on: July 02, 2016, 09:57:47 am »
We've been waiting for our CPH number for ages - rang up and it hadn't been processed, so they very kindly processed it in 48 hours.  We now have it and can get our sheep.  Very excited - so just putting it out there as most people look at e like ??? when I talk abut it. 

I am lucky to have a lovely lady not far from us who is a shepherd and giving me lots of advise.  Think I will still be on here quite a bit though.
  :sheep:  :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Finally!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 11:40:55 am »
Hurrah!   :excited:

What sort are you going to get?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 04:41:10 pm »
Congratulations and love ok forward to a life changing experience

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 04:51:43 pm »
Exciting, what breed are you going for? :D

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 08:59:50 am »
We are trying to be sensible as this is our first venture into sheep.  In my fantasy life I would have Ryedales, BUT as our land gets very very wet in winter they really aren't a sensible option.  My Yorkshire farmer friend recommends we get Texels as they are hardy and easy to keep as first timers.  We are open to suggestions and advice.  Nothing that grows really big as I am quite slight. 

Doing research at the moment so all suggestions welcome.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 01:47:24 pm »
Texels aren't renowned for the best of feet, which would be exacerbated by wet ground, and are pretty hefty creatures.  Easier to sell than many, though.  And what your local farmer friends are used to, no doubt.

Shetlands have great feet, very resilient, smaller, and lovely fleece if you spin  :spin: or decide to get into spinning  :spin:.  Not as easy to sell spare lambs, unless you're planning on eating them yourselves, or selling boxed meat, in which case, the taste is sublime :yum:

Depending on where you are, there may be a local breed or type that's good on your wet ground - for instance, the Exmoor Horn has tremendous feet.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 02:45:29 pm »
That is brilliant news, how many do you want? and what breed?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 07:07:17 pm »
We are thinking of Ryelands as they are good doers apparently and have good feet.  There are a couple of breeders locally to us with rams if we want to lamb.  Probably about 5.  Exciting times!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 07:09:28 pm »
We are thinking of Ryelands as they are good doers apparently and have good feet.  There are a couple of breeders locally to us with rams if we want to lamb.  Probably about 5.  Exciting times!
Indeed and all the best to you with your new adventure. If you need any advice or anyone to talk to then please feel free to ask and we will try to answer best as possible. Are you sure you don't want Lleyns? I have a few pet lambs available :innocent:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 10:23:33 pm »
Lots of luck with your new venture. We have just been given the go ahead to buy a small starter flock- meaning that our orphan lamb crews should now be a thing of the past. Now looking at what breeds would suit both us and the farm. Top of the list so far is Lleyns. I don't want a big continental bred ewe. Also on our list is Poll Dorsets and some of the Down breeds- Hampshire Down being one of them. I've spoken to 2 separate farmers today both with different breeds both pure and crossbred, both have said not to rush into it, find a breeder and avoid buying from market. Find a sheep that suits your system and look at what you want to get out of them :) Lots of luck.

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 06:54:46 am »
Dorset Downs..... We started with 5 in-lamb shearlings last December, really enjoying them, they lambed with very few problems, outside in late March. Lambs are growing on fast and so so sweet. They are docile and very usefully really respect electric fencing.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 09:29:51 pm »
I love my Castlemilk moorits andb they are meant to have good feet. Very small too. Good luck with your sheep!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 09:43:16 pm »
Whereabouts are you in the country? and do you plan to lamb indoors or out? and what is your main aim of keeping sheep? (wool / meat / lawnmowers etc. How la bour intensive do you want?That will help in your decision as to which breed.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 02:52:07 pm »
We are in Suffolk, on wet clay soil.  Lambing will be inside.  Initially they will be kept for wool and keeping the grass down in the paddocks as we rotate the horses.  Not overly labour intensive, but we spend half our time out there anyway . . . . .   Eventually I would like to raise some for meat, but that is an ongoing discussion in our house at the moment!  Also thinking about showing. 

But do realise we need to do one thing at a time   :sheep:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 11:41:41 pm »
Well, you might be tempted to get Suffolks - but again, they're not renowned for having the best of feet.

You say they'll be for wool - for yourselves? Or to sell?  Or to have processed and sell yarn?

Suffolks were created by crossing the Norfolk Horn with the Southdown.  Both parent breeds then became rare breeds; in fact, the Norfolk Horn was lost, and had to be recreated using Suffolk and Southdown.  The Southdown is now out of danger, but the Norfolk Horn is still on the RBST Watchlist.  Norfolk Horn is a lovely fleece for spinners...  :eyelashes: :innocent:   :spin: :spin:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS