Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cruels?  (Read 2830 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
cruels?
« on: June 30, 2016, 09:19:08 pm »
I have a lamb with a nasty little lump on the point of his jaw: it's bald and taught and obviously rather itchy as he scratches at it.  Having caught him up for a closer look, I see he also has rather a lot of crustiness around his eyes.  He had orf a short while ago that has now cleared up.

Do you think this is cruels or something else?  I'll be getting vet advice tomorrow...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: cruels?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 09:23:42 pm »
Um.....what's cruels?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:02:11 pm »
I don't know another name for it, sorry.  It is a boil/abcess that blows up and bursts (this one hasn't yet) full of green pus. It is caused by a bacterium (Actinobacillus lignieresii) present on sheep generally, but gets into little cuts, thistle pricks etc and causes an infection.

There is also CL (Caseous Lymphadenitis) which looks similar and is highly contageous and spreads in the lymph system, but I don't think it's that as a) I have never had it before and had no new additions to my flock for a year and b) it is usually found in older sheep rather than lambs.  It's also rare in the UK.

I don't know if there is anything else that may have produced this lump. It's about 1" in diameter.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:30:26 pm »
what does the lump look like? Could it be a bite at all and had an allergic reaction? Is the animal exhibiting any signs of pain at all? please could you keep us updated on its progress? I am following this thread with interest, heres hoping for a speedy recovery! :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:36:46 pm »
It is taut and pink: no hair, and seems to have blood vessels on the surface.  It seems to have come up very rapidly, unless I've only seen the lamb from the wrong side for ages!  No particular signs of pain, but it is itchy: he scratches at it, which I suppose could also indicate pain.

I'll contact the vet in the morning.  I expect I'll be give long acting antibiotics and will be told to lance it, but he might ask me to take him in (if I can catch him).

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 11:45:36 am »
Doesn't sound like cruels   ?,  I only get it in adults and many lumps and bumps

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 01:43:20 pm »
Well, I've got antibiotics and instructions to lance and flush it, so we'll see what happens.

If I remember and have a free hand I'll take photos.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS