Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nothing growing!  (Read 5992 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Nothing growing!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 10:22:20 am »
I'm hoping it will all make up later in the year, it usually does.

Coastie

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 10:40:45 am »
All veg either rotted away or eaten by nasties :(. Hay still standing in the field, can't get it cut until we have a week without rain. But the Bramley tree is heaving with fruit. Maybe we will have an Indian summer :fc: :fc:

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 09:54:54 pm »
first year of growing and slow start but my polytunnel with home made compost is flying really impressed.  Oustide peas and beans good.  Onions amazing, beetroots - most failed by have about 6 resowed and coming through now, rocket failed, most carrots failed (resowed)  most lettuce failed - all the mixed varieties, squashes failed (resowed) only a couple of courgettes.  Cabbages and brass have been eaten by the moth and major problem with slugs. 

Peaks and troughs here.  problem was sowing into the ground when it was too cold (end of April) will start most in polytunnel next yr.  The other reason could be poor seeds. I used Chase organics and Tamar and pretty impressed.  Even though the seed packet says use by they may still be poor quality.

Mine is pretty exposed here too but have used home made compost and apart from the endless weeds been impressed.  My biggest problem is trailing silverweed, mini thistles and general rubbish its endless here.

I find http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/vegging-out/ very good for feedback.

Seems like an expensive lesson growing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS