Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bulging eye in BWM ewe  (Read 1962 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Bulging eye in BWM ewe
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:28:33 am »
has anyone ever experienced a sheep with what looks like the eye being pushed out the socket? I can't decide if the muscle round the face is wasting and making the eye look bigger or if there is a tumour or something behind the ewe but it gives the appearance of bug eyes.

I spoke to the vet but their comments are limited without seeing it but my issue is that I guess if a tumour it is not feasibly treatable so is it worth spending money to be told to cull or do I just cull out? She doesn't seem bothered about it although eye waters a bit. It just looks unpleasant.

I can't think what else it could be. She has always had a slightly bulging eye but it has got worse in last 6 months.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Bulging eye in BWM ewe
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:52:01 am »
Could be an abscess behind eye. I'd suggest taking to the vet so they can have a look, they may be able to ultrasound or stick a needle in to sample.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 01:19:45 pm »
Thanks, I wasn't sure how they could identify reason. She's getting on a bit now. I will try and get an appointment this week  :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 01:42:03 pm »
It sounds as though it would be very painful for her.  I'd be inclined to get her to the vet today.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 10:16:44 pm »
She doesn't seem to be in any pain and happily eating. I had a feel round her head and there is no heat , pain or softness. Whatever is causing it is within the skull. The eye is watering but she isn't distressed.

My vet isn't always in so I can't just turn up, usually I can wait all day just for them to return my call.  Plus I have to catch her and get in trailer! I'm betting she plays me up when I go back.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 07:35:32 am »
Sheep are very good at hiding pain. Swellings behind bone can be particularly difficult to see a reaction to pressure. The eye watering would suggest pain or irritation of the eye.
You should be able to make an appointment to bring your animals to the surgery if there isn't a vet on site at all times they should be able to give you a time when there will be. If you can't even get a call back from your vet the same day, I'd consider changing vets.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 08:51:47 am »
I agree.  I've seen a ewe with very bad flystrike (not one of mine, I hasten to add) stand quietly and just grind its teeth occasionally to indicate it must have been in excruciating agony.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS