Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horn pulled off  (Read 5570 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Horn pulled off
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:41:22 am »
Hi
when I fed the sheep this evening the tup lamb (about 8wk old?) had rived his whole horn off, leaving a massive bloody stump, because of other jobs needing doing (had been out to a meeting) I had to leave him, should I let it dry naturally, hopefully it will dry off overnight while its cool? and treat him in the morning, I don't think I have enough wound powder to cover it, I have purple septiclense.
thought if I went back down now and try and find him in the dark I'd just upset them?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Horn pulled off
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:27:31 am »
I would use plaster tar spray 1st thing in the morning. Flies are the biggest worrry right now... but it has happened to my Shetlands before, and he was fine. Can't remember if I used AB's or not...

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:20:45 am »
I never used antibiotics, just a bit of purple spray. You could put some summer fly cream on it that would keep the flies off but don't think it would need any antibiotics.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:27:39 am »
It's pretty common, and they're usually fine as long as you can keep the flies away.  Unless it's got dirt in it I wouldn't do more than Septiclense and a fly deterrent.  And keep a close watch on him for evidence of eggs/maggots.   

We get head flies here, which drive the boys mad.   So they rub their heads in the stock fencing, and rip off or damage their horns... ::). Which of course attracts the flies even more.  So, much as I hate chemicals, if we're having a bad year for head flies, as well as puffing citronella over them at feeding time, and putting up fly traps, we sometimes have to give the horned ones a puff of Crovect on their heads.  It does deter the flies, much more effectively than the citronella.  Crovect shouldn't be applied to raw flesh, of course, so can't be applied once the horn has been ripped off, at least until the wound has healed over.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Coastie

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:48:31 am »
Two of mine have done this so far this year, and the flies are on them very quickly - keep a careful watch on him. Boy, does it bleed! Has taken at least 2 weeks to dry off. :(

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 10:10:14 am »
Stockholm tar is good for this. Seals it up, antiseptic and keeps the flies off.  I had one a few weeks ago too - luckily it rained heavily that day which washed it all up nicely for me :).

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 11:52:47 am »
Your lamb has exposed the horn core, which is extremely sensitive.  As an emergency if it keeps on bleeding you can wrap clean cobwebs around the stump, otherwise as above.  Over time, the stump will be covered by horn, although will never match the other side.

This is very different to when the whole horn has been torn out, core and all, when you have an emergency and need to pinch the artery between finger and thumb for a good 5 mins, then get the sheep to the vet for further treatment.  They won't always survive this unless you are quick with spotting it, unlike a torn off horn sheath which is uncomfortable but survivable.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 12:01:25 pm »
Thanks, as expected this morning fly eggs at the Base, rubbed them away, gave good spray with septiclense, then round area with citronella.
Unfortunately as I let him go he bashed into yhe gate, blood pouring down his face but can't get near him now :-(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:24:47 pm by penninehillbilly »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 12:39:47 pm »
Can you pen him with a pal until it dries up enough not to soften in the rain?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 02:30:27 pm »
Edited lasthe entry to make more sense. Darn predictive Text!
Thought I'd let him calm down a bit, then hopefully lead his mum in, but I have to get them past the tup, and it would mean leaving him out on his own, he (tup) will be out before I get home.
If I can catch lamb again I'll put him in with another lamb, but then mum will be upset.
I can't win :-(

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 05:21:38 pm »
I keep an eye bandage and compress in my meds bag as my 4 horn lambs are now 13 weeks old and nearly all have broken at least 1! When it's really bad I bandage an eye bandage on with purple spray under and works a treat, stops the bleeding & protects from flies
Red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS