Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4 month old lame STILL with diarrhoea  (Read 3786 times)

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
4 month old lame STILL with diarrhoea
« on: June 27, 2016, 07:37:17 pm »
We have a large handful of tame "bottle fed" (well Shepherdess fed) lambs and poor little No.2 is pooing through the eye of a needle  :( .

She is now half the size of all the others, happy in herself and grazing and eating lamb creep with as much enthusiasm as the others but has had diarrhoea since a very early age. She (and all the others) have had two doses of Animec clear oral wormer (ivermectin based) and a dose of Vecoxan, she has actually also had a second dose of Vecoxan as it really seems like it should be Cocci?  Today went out and found that she has been straining so much to squeeze diarrhoea out that she has given herself a small anal prolapse. I have fetched her in and cleaned her up with warm soapy water and it has reduced of its own doing but comes out each time she has a bought of straining, I had a little feel up her anus but couldn't feel any firm faeces etc.

I am at a bit of a loss now until the vets open in the morning. Is it possible that she still has cocci despite the two Vecoxan doses? or can anyone suggest a better wormer to try or any other help or suggestions.

She is such a friendly cutey that she has already wormed her way (excuse the pun) into everyones hearts and can stay as a pet lamb if we can get her fixed  :innocent:

Thanks in anticipation
 :fc:
So many ideas, not enough hours

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: 4 month old lame STILL with diarrhoea
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:51:07 pm »
Live yoghurt mixed into her milk should help :) If she's off milk, just syringe some live yoghurt into her. It was the only thing that worked for the pet lamb we raised last year.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:22:03 pm »
I would put down some lovely hay as she is also possibly not getting enough roughage through her gut.  Pull her skin doing the pinch test if it goes back slow, she needs rehydration as loosing lot of fluids due to the scours.  We keep rehydion for this just in case. Or you can make up a solution. If she were here I would give her a tiny dose of 1:1 unpastureised apple cider vinegar:water drench.   

We did have one pet lamb with a small prolapse last year, we found that the mix they were having was a little too much for them, loaded with molasses.  He was the only one that had it though.  He came fine.  Watch for blowflies though!

But of course yes Vets tomorrow. Good luck x
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:24:49 pm by Hellybee »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 06:35:06 am »
I would try dosing with kaolin and morphine.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:20:45 am »
What did the vet say today?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:10:42 pm »
Vet said that she obviously had something internal going on and had maybe not had/enough colostrum at birth so her outlook was very limited, by this morning she had pushed the anal prolapse out again and a bit further and her stomach was very bloated so we called it a day as she had lost all her sparkle. 
As a friend once said if you have live stock you will have dead stock.  :(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 09:31:39 pm »
  :bouquet:  Even when they get the best start, we all lose some bottle lambs.  You acted promptly once she started to struggle.   :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:21:00 pm »
Big hugs  :bouquet:

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:45:55 pm »
So sorry to hear that, RIP little lamb x

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 07:59:49 pm »
Thank you all for caring xx

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 11:28:21 pm »
I am so sorry to hear about that, you did your best for it and that is the most important thing. Sending you big hugs! :hug: :hug:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 09:45:33 pm »
Sorry to hear about your lamb.  :bouquet: :bouquet: :hug: Don't beat yourself up abut it. You did a lot to try and help.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS