Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Treating anaemic hen  (Read 2228 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Treating anaemic hen
« on: June 27, 2016, 02:48:53 pm »
For the first time ever, we have a red mite infestation. I am treating everything with Poultry Shield and red mite powder, but am not sure what to do with a very anaemic looking hen. Is there anything that will speed up her recovery?

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
Re: Treating anaemic hen
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:22:09 pm »
Maybe poultry Nutri Drops by Net Tex would help, I think you only give them for three days, did wonders for one of my OAP's.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 10:28:24 pm »
hens love live yogurt - if you can get hold of organic unpasteurised the better.  Mine have seaweed meal was giving them a probiotic in powder form but just too expensive but I am sure if you could use a human one that would be beneficial.  Plenty of green veg?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 05:21:15 pm »
Do you think she's anaemic because her comb and wattles are pale?  Is she still laying?  She may be coming off lay due to the moult being about to begin.  Is she light for her size?  If the red mite infestation was severe she could well be anaemic but there could be other reasons.  Have you checked for lice as well?  I've known of several outbreaks in other's flocks that have left the birds in far worse shape than red mite. 

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 10:04:19 pm »
Yes, her combs and wattles are pale. Or rather, were pale. I found some mite recovery tonic at mole valley farmers and it seems to be doing the trick. You put it in the water and it contains good things such as iron and zinc. Her comb is returning to its normal colour and she is much more active.

I don't know if it was a bad infestation because I have not had one before, but it looked pretty awful to me. Hope I never see it again!

Thank for all the helpful suggestions. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS