Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BWMB  (Read 1908 times)

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
BWMB
« on: June 27, 2016, 11:46:14 am »
Is it still obligatory to register with the BWMB if you have more than 4 sheep? The website is ambiguous - it says 'why not register' and talks about the benefits of being registered .... no mention of it being mandatory.
I have shetlands and would like to keep the fleeces to process myself and maybe sell a few to local spinners ...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: BWMB
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:17:23 pm »
Probably yes, but don't bother, and the BWMB won't mind a jot.  It'd be more effort for them to have you on their list than not.

If in the future you have more wool than you know what to do with then you can register with them then, but no one will come knocking at your door in the mean time :).

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 02:20:53 pm »
You can sell wool to BWMB or Texacloth ---I am pretty sure there is no obligation to register with BWMB , I know plenty of commercial producers that aren't

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 02:51:06 pm »
We sell to Texacloth. Our local depot bout 12 miles away.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 04:47:57 pm »
You can sell wool to BWMB or Texacloth ---I am pretty sure there is no obligation to register with BWMB , I know plenty of commercial producers that aren't

Commercial producers are obliged to inform the BWMB if they are going to sell their wool elsewhere.

I agree that with a small flock of Shetlands, particularly if not white, the BWMB will not be at all worried if you want to stay outside their scheme.  However, they are, in my experience, all very knowledgeable, helpful people, so I would not be frightened to give them a call to discuss.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 06:34:25 pm »
Thanks all for the info. I've only one white ewe and her fleece is always full of sand and stones, so I don't suppose the BWMB would fight me for it anyway!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 06:57:48 pm »
If you want to show your fleeces at one of the major shows then you do need a BWMB membership number.  That doesn't mean you have to sell to them - I have a number but have never sold to BWMB.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS