Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anybody here use a sheep chair?  (Read 7632 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Does anybody here use a sheep chair?
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:05:20 pm »

I'm struggling with intermittent back pain these days, so spent yesterday at the Highland Show looking at sheep turnover crates. They look really whizzy, but also very expensive (typically the best part of a grand). So, in the hope that it might offer a cheaper solution, I spent the afternoon welding up a sheep chair a bit like the one below.

I think I got the design ok, and once the sheep is sat down in it, it works well. It also gives a better position for checking feet etc, since you can be stood up properly in front of the ewe rather than stood behind her bending forwards.

However, my sheep don't have a reverse gear, and  it's really hard to get them backed up in the right place in preparation for tipping. It was also way harder on my back to lift them into the chair than it would have been to just tip them normally. I'm starting to think I've wasted an afternoon and a decent number of welding rods.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: That's not actually the thing I made - it's just a pic I found on google images. I don't normally trim feet whilst wearing a summer dress for one thing!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:00:37 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Does anybody here use a sheep chair?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 11:53:58 pm »
Just hugs and empathy for the back twinges.

And advice you won't take ;) - get sheep that don't need their feet messed with.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 12:05:57 am »
Thanks Sally,  I'll begin not taking your advice immediately!  ;D

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 12:20:26 am »
Hahahaha well done finally someone has invented a deckchiar for sheep! Youare quite the inventor [member=2128]Womble[/member]  and cornered the market :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 12:32:09 am »
No, definitely not my invention WBF, and there are several different commercial versions available. I might have bought one at the show but then the salesman started getting snotty about the fact we only had ten ewes, and then even snottier about them being Zwartbles "I mean, what the hell are they any good for? Unless you're going to use them for Embryo Transfer, stop p1ssing about and get yourself some Beltex for **** sake"  >:( . Mrs Womble nearly lamped him one, but wisely walked away instead!  :roflanim:  So b*****ks to it. Have welder, will weld!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 01:00:41 am »
Years ago we bought one for our Jacobs, with a canvas seat part.  We got them in by standing them beside the chair, head at the top, then rolling them sideways into the chair, with two people doing it.  Even then they would get their feet caught in the metalwork, and very soon the chair was bent beyond use.  It was immediately replaced by the manufacturers, but we barely used the thing after that.  As you say, easier to tip as usual. 
Another thing we found was that our chair was on the overlarge side for Jacobs, so they wriggled and squirmed and were far less controllable than when sitting on their behookies.  Even worse for Hebs and Soay (we tried it with them to try to bring them to a slightly better height)  Since then the chair/sofa has hung in a shed and not been touched again.
Try tipping your Zwartbles in from the side, but otherwise, yes you probably wasted a lot of time  :wave:.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 05:12:43 am »
No I don't use one pretty much for the reasons you say, it is easier to chase a sheep into a turn over crate than ask it to sit down in exactly the right place.  I bought a second hand one on eBay, there is a chap in Thirsk sells them quite regularly and he will crate and send it to you.  Still not cheap, but closer to £300 including transport than a grand for a new one.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 09:31:04 am »
Any chance your zwartbles can be treated like horses, and do their feet whilst they're on all fours?  I'm sure devonlad does that... saves your back a bit..
You haven't wasted your time - I LOVE the photograph, and the image of sheep and deck chairs will keep me smiling all day....

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 09:55:46 am »
We have a W M Ironworks turnover crate, although I know several people with IAE ones that wouldn't change.  I've found you need a person with a leg length of at least 32 inches to stand astride the shoulders of a Badger Face while you check feet from the ground.

sheepandponies

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Galston
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 09:57:32 am »
I have a sheep chair for sale if anyone interested.  The chair which has a full heavy plasticised fabric cover (not mesh) has been used just a few times and works well but I prefer to do their feeting standing so that is why it is for sale.  Ayrshire £70 and could bring as far as Stirling on the 6th as I will be at UA that day.
07939 001542

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 05:43:20 pm »
I don't turn my Zwartbles over unless I have to - two of them are so big that if I do, I can't reach their feet anyway, so they get tied up and have their feet picked up like a horse. Easy on my back and easier for them too :thumbsup:

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 09:47:00 am »
I can't tip my tup or a couple of the bigger girls. Even the smaller ones fling themselves about when tipped. They never seem to sit still like you see everyone else's do. The shearer was unimpressed last year and said we should tip them more often to get them used to it. I wonder if its because they are tame and therefore lack any fear which normal sheep do. The more we tipped them, the worse they got until there was no way we could trim their back feet with them tipped. 
I now just trim their feet when needed with them standing. Much easier.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 09:54:36 am »
We use a chair, I bought a webbing belt from an Army Surplus store and put that around the sheeps middle once I have them in the chair, not overly impressed with the chair we bought though, the construction is good but its a real faff to get the sheep in it if your on your own.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 12:37:45 pm »
Big ewes and rams are easier to do like a pony we find x

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 11:25:09 pm »

I actually don't have any trouble tipping the Zs (except Ace, but we just get two people to sit on him when he's cudding instead. Look, I'm not proud, but it worked!  ;D ), it's more the bending over them once they're tipped. But if I'm going to need a second person to help me with the sheep chair, I might as well get them to hold whilst I inspect.

I'll try the 'like a pony' method again, but for some reason they ALL really hate that, and kick like fury. Actually the tamer they are, the more they kick, which doesn't make much sense.

Thanks all!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS