Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoir trailer requirements  (Read 3262 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Abattoir trailer requirements
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:46:48 am »
Hi All,

Hope that this is posted in the right place,  I went back a ways and couldn't see a similar topic.

Looking to buy a second hand trailer with a wooden floor. It has slats across to pen the sheep into a smaller area if  you only have a few, and the floor is the resin coated plywood so should be ok to wash down to disinfct.

I was talking to another smallholder though and they said that you can be turned away if the floor isn't metal? I've been hunting for the rules on this but can only see legislation saying that you must be able to disinfect it.

I've found these:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/1724/contents/made

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/farm-animal-welfare-during-transportation#inspection-and-approval-of-animal-transportation-vehicles

Can anyone point to any clearer advice on what we need for the trailer for trips to the abattoir?

Thanks

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: Abattoir trailer requirements
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »
Only requirement that I know mine complains about is having loading gates to prevent accidental escapees during unloading.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 11:18:28 pm »
The small Ifor livestock trailers have resin coated plywood floors and slats running widthwise to help give the sheep grip. You can just see the floor and slats in this pic:

I'd be gobsmacked if Ifor Williams sold something that wasn't compliant with all the regs.

One thing to be aware of with a wee trailer is that it will sit lower down than the Abbatoir guys are used to. Last week, they waved me back with "keep coming, keep coming, keep co..." BANG!! "er, that's far enough now"  ::) .

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 11:51:53 pm »
I know the sort of flooring you mean, and it's perfectly legal.  I had one like that on the moorland farm.  It can be slippy when wet, but isn't when dry, so it's important to use enough sawdust to keep it dry even when the sheep have emptied their capacious bladders all over it ;)

One thing you must check, though, is that any fixed flooring is still sound under the outer surface.  Repeated washings out can seep around the edges, soften the underlying wood - and one day the floor just gives way :0

We've only ever been questioned over ramp angles and side rails.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 01:30:58 am »
Thanks guys, you've put my mind at rest.

Trailer soon then, that will make things easier for us!  :excited:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS