Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewe loosing condition rapidly  (Read 3976 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
ewe loosing condition rapidly
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:52:46 am »
One of my Soay girls has been loosing a lot of condition over the last 10 days or so.
She was wormed/fluked with Combinex 4 weeks ago, and when I rooed her fleece off 10 days ago she seemed normal, but in the last week she has lost a lot of weight and now looks emaciated.
Yesterday I noticed she started scouring as well, so dosed with Combinex again (but still scouring today). She seems fine otherwise, grazing and feeding her lamb.

Lamb is now 10 weeks old, he's a very hungry boy, but that doesn't quite explain the sudden loss of condition.

Next step is poo sample to vet, I think, but wondering what else besides parasites could be causing this.
Any ideas?
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: ewe loosing condition rapidly
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:26:37 am »
It could be, and I hate to say this, Johnes disease I would definately take a poo sample to the vets just to make sure and maybe seperate her from the rest of the flock and move them to another pasture, but if she does have Johnes it may be too late anyway, I am really hoping it is not :(
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:48:38 am »
Combinex contains triclabendazole as its wormer, to which some areas have reported quite a bit of resistance.

Maybe try a different wormer, from a different class - personally I'd phone the vet for advice as they'll know the local conditions.  They may be able to dispense just enough for this one girl, too.

It shouldn't be fluke; the dose you gave her 4 weeks ago should have taken out all fluke at all stages, pretty much.  So far as I know, there's not resistance to levisamole.  Hopefully one of the vets on the forum will drop in and give us a more informed opinion on that.

Or, it may be worms, and they've just come back rather quickly - and it will take more than 24 hours to dry her up.  (I'm always impatient too!  But it usually dries them up within about 3 days.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:38 am »
You don't say how old the ewe is?
Have noticed that losing a tooth can cause an animal to lose condition.

Also with all this rain around the grass has been growing in fits and starts some take longer to adjust to a fresh flush of growth.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 03:45:41 pm »
Have you observed her cudding?  I'd be inclined to consult the vet and also consider weaning early.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 07:41:01 pm »
Co Se deficiency?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 08:06:36 pm »
Combinex contains triclabendazole as its wormer, to which some areas have reported quite a bit of resistance.

Maybe try a different wormer, from a different class - personally I'd phone the vet for advice as they'll know the local conditions.  They may be able to dispense just enough for this one girl, too.

It shouldn't be fluke; the dose you gave her 4 weeks ago should have taken out all fluke at all stages, pretty much.  So far as I know, there's not resistance to levisamole.  Hopefully one of the vets on the forum will drop in and give us a more informed opinion on that.

Or, it may be worms, and they've just come back rather quickly - and it will take more than 24 hours to dry her up.  (I'm always impatient too!  But it usually dries them up within about 3 days.)
      Agree with all , and a slight slip  in that you've mixed the wormer  (levamisole  )   and flukicide  (triclabendazole )   

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 08:34:17 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  :thumbsup:
She is young, this is her second lambing.
I'm not entirely sure she is cudding, she's hasn't been when I watch her (while her lamb next to her is, so not quite right, I think). What could this mean? She doesn't seem bloated.

I caught her this evening to pen her up nd be able to observe her better but she scrambled over the partition wall in the shed to get out... (this is my usual sick bay and  had no escpapes before so she cant be that poorly...) Still she doesn't seem quite right and that worries me. Now she is suspicious of me, as Soays do, so I'll have to wait and try again in the morning.

Will call the vets in the morning too, but it's always very helpful to get hear others' opinions and experiences in the meantime.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 08:34:24 pm »
N what s her toothy pegs like ?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 08:40:35 pm »
N what s her toothy pegs like ?

You mean her teeth? Will check that too once I have caught her again. Should have checked all that first before leaving her in the shed to fetch some water and feed...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 07:36:19 am »

Agree with all , and a slight slip  in that you've mixed the wormer  (levamisole  )   and flukicide  (triclabendazole )

:blush:

I'll tell you why I've muddled them - because there have been reports of resistance to triclabendazole. 

So perhaps it is fluke, and she needs a different flukicide.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 10:57:59 am »
What about Rycoben SC?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS