Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coop flooring  (Read 3189 times)

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
Coop flooring
« on: June 22, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »
Hello everyone  :wave:

I was interested in what you all use for your coop flooring, and where you get it?

At the moment I'm using wood shavings which are really good. However, I'm getting through a HELL OF A LOT of it and am paying through the nose buying horrible vacuum packed plastic bags of the stuff. Any better flooring? Or another better source of stuff?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Coop flooring
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 07:02:29 pm »
I use straw mostly, but a lot of people use wood shavings (IE sawdust) I find it gets to my chest and have to wear a mask. The problem with straw is that it can attract mites, so I may have to change back to sawdust!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:35:30 pm »
I used megazorb with my silkies.
As its horse bedding, it comes in decent size bags (economy of scale) and it was good at clumping round the poo making it really easy to poo pick every day (and kept feet feathers nice and clean and dry and unbroken) and then it was easy to clean out each month - I used to lightly damp it with a watering can on sprinkle to prevent too much chicken dust/flyaway bits and then scoop it out with a dustpan - the actual bedding has little dust too. It was compostable I think too :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 08:41:00 pm »
As its horse bedding, it comes in decent size bags (economy of scale) and it was good at clumping round the poo making it really easy to poo pick every day (and kept feet feathers nice and clean and dry and unbroken) and then it was easy to clean out each month - I used to lightly damp it with a watering can on sprinkle to prevent too much chicken dust/flyaway bits and then scoop it out with a dustpan - the actual bedding has little dust too. It was compostable I think too :)
How much does it cost and what sizes do they have?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:55:26 pm »
How much does it cost and what sizes do they have?

This sounds great!! I'm going to research too.

I have used straw...in fact, I've got a massive barn full of the stuff but it's a two hr trek away so I rarely get the chance to stock up. Also, I find straw isn't very absorbent and worry it'll become a breeding ground for nasties.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:50:25 pm »
I am not mainland so I got mine from a local horse supplier

This is their website http://www.northerncropdriers.co.uk/megazorb

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 05:08:25 pm »
I use Aubiose in my coop, I can get two complete changes of litter out of each bale in a roughly 4ft X 4ft coop.
I find it lasts for ages but I do poo pick every day, it also composts well which is a big plus for me.
I have seen stuff made from coconut husks online which I might try after I've finished the Aubiose, although the air miles on that must be shocking.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 07:07:12 pm »
Sawdust - from a craftsman furniture maker I used to study with, practice in his workshop and occasionally work for.  He asked me to take bags over to a local livery yard and I did but then said could I have one..  He was delighted as long as I return the bags.

Can't afford to buy posh bedding for chooks, if I didn't have that it would be straw from a round bale I keep for ponies' occasional use
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 09:22:05 pm »
I picked up some of that megazorb on Amazon for a hefty price - almost £18 for a sack of the stuff which only covered my coop ONCE.

However, so far so good. It smells weird but the chickens are happy and, most importantly, the coop is staying dry and comfortable. I'm going to see how long it lasts before it needs to replacing to see whether it's worth the investment or not.

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 10:52:03 am »
I got some of the Tropibed, weird stuff, it's like very soft coffee grounds.
So far I'm very happy with it, it makes daily poo picking very quick, the bedding coats the droppings very finely so there's hardly any being removed, and it doesn't stick to the egg shells as much, the stuff that does stick brushes off and doesn't stain white eggs.
Also the hens aren't throwing it out of the coop which they did with hemp bedding.
The only downside is price, but I'm hoping it won't need changing as often as the hemp and will last longer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS