Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody hen in roof  (Read 2527 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Broody hen in roof
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:38:22 pm »
I don't want any more chickens-I have more than enough and am not letting any of them sit this year.

This morning I watched as one flew up to the duck house partition, hopped three feet onto a rafter and then another three feet into the eaves of our barn/garage-clocking all the way. From the sound of it she has a few in there as I could hear them rolling about as she got in. I've no idea how long she's been sitting either (too many chickens to count..). Funny, I was worried that the muscovies might try and nest there. I can't get up there, I don't have a ladder big enough!

Has anyone had this and the chicks make it down alright?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Broody hen in roof
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:19:02 pm »

Crafty hen   ;D   Sounds if leaving the nest could be disastrous  :(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:19:10 pm »
I am torn between admiring her and being exasperated! The Marsh Daisies are by far the cleverest hens I've had-all that hybrid vigour ;)

I will borrow a ladder, wear a crash helmet with visor (she will be at eye level) and bring her and the eggs down and let her sit, think she's earned the right to!

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 03:12:25 pm »
Good for you mate  :thumbsup:

Funny how nature has a way, but like you said how would they get down!

They would probably just bounce but not worth the risk.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 04:04:54 pm »
I am torn between admiring her and being exasperated! The Marsh Daisies are by far the cleverest hens I've had-all that hybrid vigour ;)

I will borrow a ladder, wear a crash helmet with visor (she will be at eye level) and bring her and the eggs down and let her sit, think she's earned the right to!
And get rid of the cockerel! :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 05:29:02 pm »
you mean the two cockerels  ;D

nah, I like them, wouldn't keep chickens if I could have the boys. just wanted a break from hatching this year in the hope some of the oldies will die out over the winter.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 10:47:15 pm »
Ha ha, don't bank on it - I have two still laying at 7 and 8 years old.  One a hybrid auricana.

Hope you get the chicks down safely, or hen and eggs asap
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 09:53:15 am »
My neighbour once had a broody hen nesting on top of a stack of big round bales, four high.  The chicks did a sort of fluttery jump onto a pile of straw and all survived.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 02:58:22 pm »
well, I thought she'd abandoned the nest so I left it as was home alone this weekend. She's back up there though so will fetch her down tonight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS