Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: abbatoirs ::)  (Read 3494 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
abbatoirs ::)
« on: June 21, 2016, 07:04:13 pm »
We have had a buffalo cull heifer booked in for 2 weeks now, last wednesday the guy rang up to cancel because he had 3 cattle to kill that morning, being brought in by another farmer with short notice, this week he has canceled again due to the guy who has the special liscense to kill the buffalo not being able to come. It is just getting a bit beyond the joke now, she really needs to go, as she is a bit of a nusience, if it happens again I'll just have to book her into wrexham, not really wanting to go there as it is too far in my opinion. Has anyone else had these problems with their abbatoirs at all? I use Tregaron and it is the first time I have had problems.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: abbatoirs ::)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 07:07:32 pm »
Love Tregaron myself but then I'm not taking buffalo!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:06:08 am »
I use Tregaron too and get on very well with them but have only ever taken sheep and pigs.

I guess their problem is that they are only a small operations of there isn't much wriggle room for them
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:42:04 pm »
Well I sent her off the slaughter yesterday morning, so all being well the meat we should be having back in 2 weeks time! :yum: I felt extremely sad leaving her there, she was dead almost straight away, she was going in as I left. It isn't as bad with a sheep when you have a large flock, but with a larger animal when you have handled them from birth, seen them every day and fed them and cared for them it is extremely hard to part with them, they almost have all their own personalities. :'(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 10:18:29 am »
 That's farming for you - goes with the job  :farmer:
 However, I believe that if you treat the animals with compassion and respect while they are in your care, and do your best to ensure that they will be similarly treated up to their demise, then you can do no more.
After all if no one ate meat then they would never have lived in the first place. So hopefully a brief but pleasant life is better than no life at all.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 08:31:55 am »
Small abattoirs have this problem, they have to jump around.
Do your best to support them.

When all the small guys are left and all we have are the big guys, you'll be out of business - There are plenty of places that don’t do individual kills, don’t do private kills, have huge minimum prices etc.

~Support the little guys, they’re our equivalents at the next point in the supply chain, just like the village butcher is to the supermarket and we are to the Intensive finishing farm.

Just be polite and say you want to use and support them as their small and local,. but cancelled twice is a bit much - should be clear enough to all and sundry,

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 08:43:23 am »
Yes it's irritating but Coximus is spot on. If you were going to a big one they have more staff and facilities but then they may well squeeze you out anyway. in the old days if you couldn't get to the local abbatior one day then they would slot you in the next now it is much more complicated and if they had extra staff hanging around for when the odd booking coincided it would cost more as well.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 07:35:29 am »
The thing is as well u said the guy had to have a special license to do Buffalo as well, so you've got to think how many Buffalo are processed in the uk, compared to normal beef cattle & it's not a lot so your not going to get many people allowed to or wanting to slaughter them perhaps, so you may have to wait & not rush things. Unless your cattle are restricted & need to be slaughtered within a certain time period & your not desperate to sell the meat & their not going to loose or gain to much weight, slaughter shouldn't have to be something that you think of as oh I've got to get them done. Raising these animals to be quality meat takes time & respect towards the animal & the effort put in really shows.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 03:54:08 pm »
the thing is she had to go as she kept prolapsing and no matter what we or the very did she wouldnt stop, so slaughter was the only option, hence my rant. I think thry kill a few every year for a buffalo meat breeder anyway. What they did in the end though was they shot her through the head and thrn cut her throat, right before she died, so she bled properly and it was all really quick (& legal).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS