Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goat not right  (Read 2670 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
goat not right
« on: June 21, 2016, 02:46:32 pm »
HI
Goats were in most of yesterday, on haylage, dry like hay, didn't notice anything odd in it. out for a couple of hours last night.
This morning my milker didn't want concentrates, could smell scour before i opened pen door.
picture is what a took out of pen.
She's out and eating grass, tail tucked down and wagging regularly.
Ive walked round the field they were in last night, nothing unusual. there are thistles, seem untouched, nettles and some rushes.
any ideas please, its the fleshy looking bits that worry me.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: goat not right
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 03:21:51 pm »
I have just had two of mine with sudden scour, one of them quite ill - but only gave Buscopan, AB's to be on the safe side (advice from vet and I had a bottle of Noroclav recently opened anyway) and rehydration Treatment (lots of it - vet said to flush it out!). She wasn't interested in food (but nibbled hay) and no milk for a couple of days. Better after 24 hours, and actually she calmed down a lot (less cramping and she stopped trying to shed her gut lining) an hour or so after the Buscopan went in. My older goat just had the scour (and it stank to high heaven I have to add) and she was back to normal wihtin a few hours, not even ill as such, just sh&t everywhere.... I think it was a viral infection, similar to the human 24hour bug, some get it worse than others... One goatling a bit on the scouring side just now as well. I had it in previous years, and as the initial signs are simialr as for enterotoxaemia I am totally worried every time it happens.

Hope your girls recovers soon, and you may have to watch out for others, although other than TLC there may not be much else you can do.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:01:17 am »
I'd be tempted to call your vet.
As Anke says, buscopan can make the gut cramps much comfort, rehydration is necessary if losing fluids through scour, and there are some nasties like coccidia or clostridial disease that warrant prompt aggressive treatment.
Hope she feels better soon!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:36:17 am »
If you don't have Buscopan you can make up a strong mint tea which will also help with gut cramps
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 12:43:27 pm »
Thanks, as she seemed fine in herself I just kept an eye on her, droppings almost back to normal (but they are all a bit soft with new grass).
Ate her supper and breakfast Ok
She does still seem to be tucking her tail down though.
So the fleshy bits are bits of her Gut?  Will it mend Itself?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:50:26 pm »
If you don't have Buscopan you can make up a strong mint tea which will also help with gut cramps

I dissolved the rehydration tablets (Effydrral) in lukewarm peppermint tea - it worked a treat!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 01:51:20 pm »

So the fleshy bits are bits of her Gut?  Will it mend Itself?

Should do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS