Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs update  (Read 7657 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Hatching eggs update
« on: June 20, 2016, 04:29:13 pm »
I got the hatching eggs last week and put them under the broody, they have been under her for 9 days now and she hasn't kicked any out at all, so thats a good sign, I'm hoping. Trying not to disturb her too much, but I lift her off once a day to eat and drink and she has water nearby which she can drink if she likes. She has kept the nest clean, so another good sign, all in all I am sort of confident that it will go well, but there is a part of me it won't, possibly because of what happened last time, but we can't give up because of one bad experience (at least that is what I keep telling myself) :) How is everyone elses hatching eggs doing?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: Hatching eggs update
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 06:19:52 pm »
You have to try to forget about them, but I know it's not easy  :excited:

I've have mixed results so far, first batch 2 broodies gave up after a week / 10 days, luckily I had half the eggs in the Incy & got 1 broody to adopt them, so that went well.
Had 30 eggs in the Incy, candled them 10 days ago, now I'm left with 9 !
They are due Thursday so fingers crossed, got chicks coming Saturday so that's a lot easier  :excited:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 09:10:07 pm »
I've had a bit of a disastrous hatching year so far to be honest! First hatch was 8 chicken eggs in my brinsea mini eco, one chick hatched, 5 more were dead in shell. Then bought 6 duck eggs from south, half started but my husband knocked the inncy off the side... bought another 8 duck eggs from south, three hatched, one died within an hour... I've concluded that storing my incubator in the byre over winter wasn't the best thing for it, I don't think it's holding temp and humidity as it should.

I don't have fertile duck eggs but had a broody duck so gave her hens eggs - big mistake, there's a reason duck egg shells are tougher than hens! Managed to save a chick and pipped egg before she stood and smashed them all! Luckily had a broody hen who had same age eggs so she took the ducks. Whew! Better luck next time!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:44:30 am »
My brown runner x Aylesbury duck that I posted about a while back hatched 13 ducklings on Sunday night. So proud of her, she's a fantastic mum and kept them all warm. We had to help her last duckling hatch as he had gotten cold and tired so brought him in and he hatched last night, fluffed up over night on a heat pad and put him back with her this morning. Really pleased :)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 04:49:58 pm »
I got carried away and have 44 eggs in 2 incubators candled them and 40 were fertile. Have 1 week left til hatch day but the eggs which I am manually turning are definitely getting some weight to them  :fc:
________
Caroline

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 05:25:23 pm »
When do the eggs start getting weighty with chicks then? This is something I have wondered at for some time, say 10 days since being put under, how big will the chicks be?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:51:26 pm »
I don't usually have a problem but things have dived first I bet on £100 on the way back from lambing in Stafford pict up a load of eggs got about 25 disaster. Next 50 terkis 1.50 each got 1 disaster 2 next 2 lots of 2 doz and £60 each 2 hatched. I have the best kit so who's folt. I never complain as its me that took the chance. So what next I judged a show 3 weeks ago and all the eggs were left on the table to throw out so I took them home and all but one fertile. So I might make it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:54:17 pm by Victorian Farmer »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 08:06:55 pm »
Ah well it is hatching day, nothing so far. Am just a bit worried that what happened last time will happen again. For those who would like to know what happened last time then I will tell you..... Once upon a time..... No seriously :roflanim: she sat for over 21 days half of them non fertile and one of the eggs hatched and got taken. the others i opened em up and the tweeted high pitched and I ended up killing em accidentally, the middle not ends.  It was a very traumatic time and it put me off eggs for months and months. The hen I got rid of. I managed to pluck up courage and try again, I am so nervous now..... roughly how many days should it be till  am worried?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 11:23:54 pm »
When did you count the 21 days from?

From when she first sat - or from when she was sitting all the time with few breaks? 

Don't touch them, the worst that can happen is that she breaks a non fertile one and you'll know by the smell.  She might even turf them out once they start to pip - so leave her alone!!!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 12:30:33 am »
counted from when she first sat. I checked her just before as I do before bed and she had her head cocked around listening and clucking a bit so maybe they have started. I picked em up last week only slightly and they were all heavy so heres hoping they hatch ok. I will check her tomoz to feed her but not lift her as she does it herself, but will be interesting to see..... I will leave her be though.

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 10:00:50 am »
I'm on tenter hooks waiting to see if they've hatched now  :excited:
Much as I'd love to hatch eggs, I'm far to soft to cull the boys lol.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 10:32:10 am »
Some of our larger breeds have taken an extra day or so beyond the 21 days to hatch so don't be too hasty WBF.Mum knows best!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 12:01:45 pm »
Even if they do hatch on Day 21 they'll generally stay under Mama for a day or so, living off the yolk and waiting for stragglers to arrive.  I don't generally expect to see brooded chicks out and about until Day 23 or so.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 01:07:13 pm »
 :relief:checked her this morn to feed her she never got up so I gave her food when sitting as I dont want to disturb. Still nothing happening but patience is key..... this is nerve wreaking :tired: only times i am checking her are morn and evening i dont lift her since yesterday. Is that ok?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 01:09:19 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 08:12:31 pm »
That should be fine. As MF says they often stay under mum for the first day or so anyway ..... often not appearing until all the viable eggs have hatched and everyone is dry and fluffy.

My daughter can never resist the temptation and lifts ours slightly for a peek and to check what's going on. I think they are probably best left alone but it depends on your hen. Ours are very tame as we usually use the pekins to sit and they are experienced mum's and not easily disturbed or alarmed.Think the danger is that some can become unsettled and turn on the chicks.

Have you popped a shallow dish of chick crumbs in. Mum can eat these now and until the chicks leave her. Water in a very shallow container ....you could put some clean stones in or in a special chick hopper. They can drown easily when very small.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS