Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jam  (Read 3691 times)

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
Jam
« on: June 20, 2016, 12:42:07 pm »
How much jam will 6kg of strawberries make?
Trying to figure how many jars I need!  ???

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Jam
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 02:10:42 pm »
Try this recipe

Great strawberry jam is surprisingly quick and easy to make especially if a spurt of enthusiasm at the pick-your-own has left you with a glut, or you spot some overripe fruit going cheap at the market – it's the flavour of summer all year round. All you need are good berries, and a little patience. And, of course, a good scone recipe.

Makes 4 x 200ml jars

2kg small ripe strawberries
1.7kg jam sugar
Juice of 2 lemons

1. Hull the strawberries and discard any rotten ones. Set aside about 10 of the smallest berries, and then mash the rest up into a rough pulp. Put into a wide, thick-bottomed pan, add the sugar and the lemon juice, and bring to the boil. Add the remaining strawberries to the pan, and put a saucer in the freezer.

2. Boil the jam for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly checking the setting point every minute or so during the last 5 minutes. To do this, take the cold saucer out of the freezer, put a little jam on it, and put it back in to cool for a minute. If it wrinkles when you push it with your finger, then it's done. Strawberry jam is unlikely to set very solid though, so don't expect the same results as you would with a marmalade.

3. Take off the heat and skim off the pink scum. Pour into sterilised jars and cover with a disc of waxed paper, seal and store.

How do you deploy strawberry jam, and what else do the gardeners among you do with gluts of summer fruit?

the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 05:29:49 pm »

My recipe - in pounds I'm afraid:
3 1/2lbs strawbs: 3 lbs sugar: juice of one lemon.  Or 1 lb sugar : 14 oz fruit :same lemon.

6 kgs of fruit is about 13lbs 2 oz

Three lbs sugar makes 5lbs jam ie 5 normal sized jars. 

So convert your kgs to lbs and you'll have your answer.

My strawbs are being served up with icecream even as I type, so I'm sorry but I have to leave you to the maths.

Incidentally, don't put too much fruit into the preserving pan at one time as the jam will cook more slowly than ideal so may not set well
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 03:30:24 pm »
Thanks for your help guys!

My jam doesn't seem to be setting! If anything its got runnier in the pan, do I take it off or boil it for longer?  ???

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:35:38 pm »
Add more lemon juice or pectin.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 10:05:12 am »
Too long a boiling and your jam will never set! A cooking apple chopped up tiny will help a set without altering the flavour.

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 08:13:14 am »
It never set in the jars  :(, anything I can do to save it since?

Defeated on this one I think!

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 04:13:02 pm »
PANIC OVER!  :)

Reboiled and added a little more jam sugar and all is well!  :excited:
Thanks for your help and advice

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 08:37:39 pm »
It never set in the jars

Use for ice cream! (1/3 jam, 1/3yoghurt and 1/3 (double) cream of the volume your ice cream maker makes....)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS