Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: vaccinating goats  (Read 4350 times)

MissionSmallholder87

• Joined Jun 2016
vaccinating goats
« on: June 17, 2016, 02:19:44 pm »
Hi,
I'm hoping for a bit of advice. We are a smallholding with pygmy and boer goats (although quite new to both!). Our boers were vaccinated at 3months old with lambivac and are not yet due their booster as they are only 5 months old. The pygmy goats are overdue their vaccinations. Unfortunately they weren't purchased from the breeder but from someone who could no longer keep them. We are led to believe they were vaccinated with an initial course but it is unknown what with. I have been researching the subject and have become confused with all the different illnesses that goats can get! What we should be treating for and what we shouldn't! I am basically trying to decide between lamivac and heptavac P. It appears heptavac P just covers more illnesses, but is it suitable for both breeds? Does anyone have any opinions on this? Should I also be routinely treating for fluke or anything else? We are worming and foot-trimming, so got that aspect covered! Sorry this has become long winded, but I've become a little confused and want to do the right thing by the goats!
Any help greatly appreciated.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: vaccinating goats
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 05:02:55 pm »
Lambivac after intial double dose 4-6 weeks apart six-monthly single dose(2ml) booster. Also booster about 4 weeks before kidding to pass on passive immunity to the kids to last them for about 8 weeks post-kidding.
Ovipast separately for Pasteurella, same regime as for Lambivac, but annual boosters should be enough.

If you do have problems with either Pasteurella or Enterotoxaemia you can (and should) booster more often, like every 4 months.

As per John Matthews "Diseases of the Goat".

Goats do not develop good immunity if using Heptavac (or higher), but goatkeepers use it widely... you have to make up your own mind for that.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 05:15:50 pm »
I use Heptavac P but that is because I also have a small flock of sheep and whilst Lambivac may be better for goats Heptavac P is more better for sheep.  The above two responses agree with my research.  My understanding is that the strains used for the key goat diseases in Heptavac are not quite as strong as those in the Lambivac   Probably not a concern as long as you don't leave the duration between vaccinations too long.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 06:12:27 pm »
Follow the basic goat veterinary society advice as Anke said: Lambivac, and if bothered with pasurella do the seperate pasturella vaccine- ovipast. If your holding has problems with liver fluke vaccinate with heptivac p.( covers a disease that is triggered by fluke entering liver.) I used to do heptivac then goat people recommended to use lambivac  6 month boosters as gives goats better immunifty for the main diseases. Then I had problems first with pasturella then fluke. (I then discovered my oh vacinates the calves for pasturella. Then our new holding is a flukey farm after post mortem and consultaion with my vet the goats are back on heptivac p and ovivacp for kids but they will get heptivac course at booster time. If in doubt discuss with your vet. Also do local farmers vaccinate for pasturella ie. rispoval in calves? Do worm counts to show you if you have fluke and worms. Treat if necessary your vet will advise you. The vets can phone and discuss product dosages with goat vet society if they are unsure
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:17:21 pm by Talana »

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS