Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very Daunting  (Read 3941 times)

Jas

• Joined May 2016
Very Daunting
« on: June 14, 2016, 09:47:09 pm »
Been on the forum for a couple of weeks  now doing lots and lots of reading of old posts and there is so much info :thumbsup:
It all seems a daunting prospect owning your own small holding
As we mainly want to keep livestock I've been reading lots on livestock Maybe I'm reading too much . Is it as difficult/ complicated as it reads?  For example animal movement,registration,vaccinations etc,etc. It seems
I'm hoping it's things that after they are done a few times that come naturally and are easy
Still Lots of research to do but we aren't rushing into it
Spending a weekend in July with 'back in wellies'  to get a taste which we are really looking forward to( not so sure Linda is with all the questions we will have  :roflanim:)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Very Daunting
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:52:37 pm »
The thing to remember is that people often post when they have a problem that they need help with. They aren't likely to post to say everything is going swimmingly. Don't be put off. The only advice I would give is to start slowly. Don't jump in with lots of different livestock at once.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Jas

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 10:07:30 pm »
The thing to remember is that people often post when they have a problem that they need help with. They aren't likely to post to say everything is going swimmingly. Don't be put off. The only advice I would give is to start slowly. Don't jump in with lots of different livestock at once.
I was thinking that.
cant seem to find a guide from day one to slaughter. As in the what and when's to do and what is needed but I guess there are so many variants 

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 10:08:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum :thumbsup: and very wise words from clydesdaleclopper - nobody knows everything and that's why this forum is great, when you have a wobble or need advice, there are people here that can help :) It can all seem overwhelming to start but once you get going it all becomes easier.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 10:15:17 pm »
I echo the start small and sloe.  Get less animals than you can support to get to grips with the handling.

If you can visit other smallholdings that's great. It gives you insight, experience and ideas. I wish I had gone on some courses before getting the holding.

I spent a few years on here reading before we got a holding and asked for subscriptions to country smallholding and smallholder as presents.

As CC has said we often post when things are going wrong so you see the worst of it. I found that helpful as a lot of problems we have come up against rang a bell with something I'd read here or in a magazine.  We don't learn from the trouble free days but they do occur!

Buying from a good breeder helps as well. I'm sure Fieldfare is sick to the back teeth with all my sheepy questions but he's still answering! A good breeder will help you with all the paperwork to start with and it isn't as daunting as it seems. A good local club is very helpful too!

Despite all that I am still full of questions. I think it's a never ending learning process!

Dans

Oh and Hi  :wave:
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Ziggy

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 10:20:22 pm »
Been operating a smallholding for 15 years now. At the start we read all we could but didn't really have a clue what we were doing. Some days I still haven't a clue but found you can go a long long way on ignorance. I don't think you can read too much on any subject but you will learn a lot more actually doing it. The only regret I have ever had about taking on a smallholding was that I didn't do it 10 years earlier.

Jas

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 10:26:21 pm »
We don't intend to go mad on livestock but slowly grow starting with young so we can 'grow' with them
There is a small holding club around here but over an hours drive and we couldn't afford anything in this area( West Sussex/Surrey). Looking at Wales most probably

It's something I've wanted to do for years but kids ruined those plans haha. In a few years it should fingers crossed be possible. Plenty of time to research

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 10:44:59 pm »
Tim & Dot Tyne's Book "Viable self sufficiency" will give you loads of info from someone who has done it and still wears the t-shirt.

One kind of animal per year was our aim, and we kept to it... chickens, then (fattening) pigs, then sheep and then goats, now have geese as well...

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 11:10:28 pm »
Just finished year 1. ( anniversary was on 12.06.16) What a year. So far we have had a small flock of hens, grown vegetables and maintained a small orchard,  learned just how fast hedges, trees, grass, thistles and nettles grow ( decided we are not ready for sheep) started a holiday business from home ( a single unit on site and two cottages 40 mins away) and got to know our neighbours - and our limitations???? We would echo the advice not to do too much too quickly.
Not regretting it -  but 2 stone lighter and fitter ???????????????? ( and we eat sooo many eggs)  :wave:

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 11:38:03 pm »
Oh and renovated the main house, learned that building/ electrical surveys are of limited use, and that water ingress  is a persistent problem with old stone properties. Guess that is pretty much what others have found!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 11:49:15 pm »
The most important thing to remember is why you are doing it in the first place. There will probably be times when you ask yourselves that question, so make sure you know what the answer is. (Healthier lifestyle, fresh food, whatever. Most vital point is that it's fun.

Jas

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 07:15:46 am »
Just finished year 1. ( anniversary was on 12.06.16) What a year. So far we have had a small flock of hens, grown vegetables and maintained a small orchard,  learned just how fast hedges, trees, grass, thistles and nettles grow ( decided we are not ready for sheep) started a holiday business from home ( a single unit on site and two cottages 40 mins away) and got to know our neighbours - and our limitations???? We would echo the advice not to do too much too quickly.
Not regretting it -  but 2 stone lighter and fitter ???????????????? ( and we eat sooo many eggs)  :wave:
Happy anniversary  ;D
Weight loss and fitter must be an added bonus
Interesting to hear how others got on in their first year . Will start a new post on it

Jas

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 07:17:57 am »
Thanks for the replies
Can't wait to get cracking but going to have to!
Still , plenty of time for research research research

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 09:31:16 am »
We started with the species that were already here, horses, ducks, chickens, goats.  Once we had got to grips with that, about 10 years (well I was working full time as well!), pigs and now sheep.   Yes it can be very complicated to start with and if you can cope with reading government docs it is worth looking at defra site but this forum is great for getting to the abc of how to do something.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 10:54:54 am »
I reckon the "no more than one new animal a year" rule is a good one. It stopped us from biting off too much early on. Feeling daunted is good though. That will also stop you from rushing into too much at once.

One of the most important things we learned is that it's much harder to start something new than it is to carry on with it. For example, starting with chooks requires outlay on housing, runs, feeders, stock etc. Then there's the time spent learning how they behave, and what is 'normal'. This means that every problem you encounter will be the first time you've seen it, all of which causes worry and sucks time.  However now we pretty much ignore our hens save for keeping them watered, fed and occasionally  :innocent: cleaned out.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS