Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lice!  (Read 2583 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Lice!
« on: June 13, 2016, 03:56:21 pm »
I'm new to keeping chickens and have just found a few of mine have got lice. I wondered what the most effective treatment is and how often it should be applied to get rid of the adults and eggs? Thank you.
4 pet sheep

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Lice!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 08:19:40 pm »
I have Battles permethrin powder that I put on the floor of the coop and in their dustbathing area. It usually works well.

Alternatively, Ivermectin drops on the back of the neck. It has the advantage of getting rid of everything, including internal parasites, but don't over-do it or it gets rid of the chicken as well. Also, don't eat the eggs for a couple of weeks.

dr241000

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Saxmundham, Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 08:50:51 pm »
I found that Diatomaceous Earth, (Diatom) powder is really good for killing lice and it is also very effective for killing mites.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 09:27:51 pm »
I put Hemexsan powder into nest pans and roosting areas every time I clean this time of the year, sorts lice & redmite  :thumbsup:

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 09:11:36 am »
Thank you for your replies. I presume that permethrin powder and diatom can be used on the  chickens? Is there any way of killing the eggs or do you just have to let them hatch and then kill the adults? Thank you
4 pet sheep

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 01:26:40 pm »
I've always used Barrier Lice powder sprinkle directly on chicken's back under the feathers. Quick and easy, normally only do once in the spring but do spot checks just incase they need a dose later in the year.
________
Caroline

dr241000

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Saxmundham, Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 04:23:28 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I presume that permethrin powder and diatom can be used on the  chickens? Is there any way of killing the eggs or do you just have to let them hatch and then kill the adults? Thank you
Yes the Diatom can be applied to the chickens and can also be used in the dust bath and around the house like on perches etc.
I think it kills the lice/mites by drying them out so it would probably kill the eggs as well.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 04:48:39 pm »
Been to the agricultural merchants today and got some louse powder for the chickens and some spray for the coop - so hopefully I'll get the problem sorted out. Just another question though - on the louse powder it says dust the chickens everyday - but not for how long. I suppose till you can't  see any lice?Any suggestions gratefully received!  Thank you.
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS