Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spiteful Ram  (Read 10469 times)

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Spiteful Ram
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 01:15:42 pm »
Alternatively,  if any experienced keeper who is aware of his temperament and up for the challenge wants him they are more than welcome to have him!

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 12:50:39 pm »
Me again,

Neighbour has said he will take the ram, shoot him and have him or his own consumption.  Ive extensively looked at the law and everything looks ok.  However, how do i go about notifying DEFRA/ AHO?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 12:58:23 pm »
Is your neighbour transporting him live to his place to then kill him at his home? If so you need to fill out a normal movement form. If he's shooting it at your place Im not sure how that would work in terms of legality and  paperwork as technically not home kill if it's then being transported on a hook and as it died on your land I think you should have disposal note or it should go in your freezer. Will stand corrected but that's my take on it, you could always ring animal health to confirm.

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 01:07:53 pm »
He will take him to his property (so I will fill in a movement licence) then he is shooting and butchering on his land.  Im just not sure how we go about informing the authorities after that

Thanks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 01:10:18 pm »
As far as I know that's his job, as long as you fill out a movement form and send it off to arams and note in your movement book that's your job done. I'm not sure he has to notify of doing home kill but should put it in his movement book to say the animal is no longer on his holding (and the date it arrived obviously). What he does with the ram on his holding isn't really your problem...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:12:42 pm by twizzel »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 02:20:49 pm »
As [member=25072]twizzel[/member] says, all you need to do is the movement form and keep a copy for your records and log the move in your movement book. You don't need to send off the form to Arams, it is the receiving owner (him) who does that.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 02:47:52 pm »
Yes, as long as you fill out the movement forms as per a normal sale, the rest is his responsibility.

I am still interested in how he should discharge that responsibility though?  We've only ever done one home kill (in the same circumstances, with a tup who had got a bit too feisty). I just wrote 'dead' in the flock book, and we incinerated all the bits we didn't eat.

Might that land us in trouble during a farm inspection though? (because we don't have a receipt for disposal).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 03:16:53 pm »
Yes, as long as you fill out the movement forms as per a normal sale, the rest is his responsibility.

I am still interested in how he should discharge that responsibility though?  We've only ever done one home kill (in the same circumstances, with a tup who had got a bit too feisty). I just wrote 'dead' in the flock book, and we incinerated all the bits we didn't eat.

Might that land us in trouble during a farm inspection though? (because we don't have a receipt for disposal).

I think you would need a disposal note for the specified risk material and the bits you don't eat- from the hunt or knackerman, and write home kill in the flock book with the receipt number of the disposal note you obtained?

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 07:00:26 am »
As [member=25072]twizzel[/member] says you need the disposal note for the specific mats. I think you are meant to take the ear tags over with that as well as proof of identity.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2017, 08:57:24 am »
Me again,

Neighbour has said he will take the ram, shoot him and have him or his own consumption.  Ive extensively looked at the law and everything looks ok.  However, how do i go about notifying DEFRA/ AHO?

You are selling him a live sheep. Do a movement form and that is your bit done. What he does with him afterwards is his business not yours. He should complete his end of the movement and then he will put him down as dead when that happens.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2017, 03:23:18 pm »
Well, my boy, Big Black, went in on Friday, I nearly turned round and went back for him LOL, thought to myself 'don't be stupid, you've solved your problem'. He was an impressive sight though, and I miss him for that, but it's a pleasure feeding the sheep again, without having to leave him chained up while the others fed or I walked down the field, or I had to carry a big stick and that didn't always work very well.
All is peaceful again.
Till his younger brother realises he's now the boss  :(

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2017, 04:24:11 pm »
I have a wonderful shepherdess friend who runs about 400 ewes and has seen a mean ram or two in her time. She says she cures them by riding them haha when they charge her she jumps on their back and rides them around the field a bit (she's a slight wee thing so no harm done)... so far it has worked every time, she says its about being dominant over the ram. I have never had a mean ram in all my years so I have not tried this method and I also weigh 10.5 stone so it would be a bit cruel! But if you are of slighter frame and feeling nimble it may be worth a go! haha

pinkvisla1

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2017, 05:47:29 pm »
Hi

Please read my post January 22 2017 "Angry Ram"

We have a big discussion on this post!  The out come for me was very positive and my Ram now lives a happy life!!

There has been many posts on this subject but I just needed to tell my story and let others know! All is NOT lost there are other options!
So I bottled fed Ronnie the Ram and he lived in the field with my other ewes  to keep our grass down and just as pets.  After a while he became very aggressive towards us and protective over his ladies, he would try and ram us all the time, entering the field became a nightmare!  so to try and trim their hooves, feed them etc. became a total nightmare! We had become very fond of Ronnie but we could not find anyone that would have him!  Our options were running out and after reading many different posts on this website I thought my only answer was to have him taken away and killed!!
Just to let others know there are other options "Rescue"  I found a rescue centre who were willing to collect him and he is now spending the rest of his life with other rescue farm animals, they are called
 farmanimalrescue.org.uk they were amazing and I shall be donating to their amazing cause.

Please think before sending healthy sheep to slaughter!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS