Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: white moths in tunnel ? Now identified !!!  (Read 9488 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: white moths in tunnel ?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 06:30:28 pm »
BH just came in telling me he'd been hearing about migrant moths attacking brassicas, and I thought of you...

Sounds like others are finding them this year linky

I just asked BH what else he could remember from the news article, and he said they are resistant to all known pesticides  :(

But the croprotect site says
Although there are insecticide resistance problems in other parts of the world, there is no evidence at present that the moths migrating into the UK each year are highly resistant to the insecticides approved in the UK for diamond-back moth control.

But then, they want to sell their insecticides, of course  :-\
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:34:36 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 09:40:14 pm »
It didn't give a description of them but heard on the news (radio) today that there was an influx of moths to southern England that was threatening the cauliflower and broccoli crops.

Thought of you FW!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 11:41:56 pm »
I think we can say that the moths have now been identified.  Now for remedies.  I never use chemicals in my gardens, so the fact that the usual chemical treatments don't work on the moths doesn't really matter to me.   I need an organic ie non-persistent-chemical, method to use.
I thought I would try wafting a cane with those yellow stick traps I so abhor, or thick grease on cardboard, on the tip.  This should mop up quite a lot of the moths.  They don't like people, but hopefully they won't jump so quickly into the air when it's just a big leaf thing coming for them.  It's worth a try. 
I will already be squashing cabbage whites on the leaves, so if I see any of this type of bug I shall launch into action, and wipe them all out  8)  Hey Ho - my brassicas look so perfect this year too
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS