Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Building in pig handling to the pen  (Read 2597 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Building in pig handling to the pen
« on: June 12, 2016, 08:41:38 am »
I am shortly going to add some all weather improvements to my pig pen as moving on to breeding stock.  I'd like to build in a pig crush if there is such a thing for doing jabs and making the vet and my life easier should a close up inspection or work be needed. This can involve some IAE or similar panels or maybe gates. I'm not looking for a crate and baler twine solution although if you have a good one I may recreate it in stainless steel. All information comments welcome but animal vets comments would be very useful- what would make/ or has made your life easier? :idea:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Building in pig handling to the pen
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:07:50 am »
My friend has a race system with a catching gate at the end. The race is as wide as a large fearings pig board so you can move the pigs along it. The gate at the end has a hurdle attached about half way along it. The race runs along a building wall.

The hurdle is attached to the gate so it swings. So when you open the gate the hurdle stays to the side and doesn't impede stock movement but also you can close it against the wall in the other direction making a crush you can catch the pig in. the hurdle is attached to the wall with a chain and clip so you can put any size pig in it.

You can have any number of pigs in the race. Catch them up. Inject, tag or whatever and let them out. The pig scales fit on the other side of the gate so you can run them through and weigh.

Hope that makes sense.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 10:17:10 am »
That sounds similar to a very good system the original supplier of our weaners had:  solid both sides (Modulamb do a good sheep race hurdle that would probably fit the bill) and with gates at intervals like the livestock market.  The weigh crate could be wheeled into place when wanted and all the pen gates opened out into the race. 

Our set up was already in place and doesn't allow for this type of arrangement.  We use metal sheep hurdles and up to four strong humans and have invested in a Masterject gun.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 07:06:20 pm »
I've tried drawing my interpretation of your friend's system Harmony and I reckon it would work so I've probably understood you right- not my strongest point following descriptions. I can see a version on this would also be good for weaners when the hoped for buyers come. Thank you both.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 10:07:26 pm »
It is a really efficient system and is really just a permanent upgrade on closing a gate against the pig and someone standing behind with a board. The beauty being you can put all sizes in it because the chain at the back can be as long or as short as needed for the size of pig in it. Also you can manage by yourself.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS