Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 216674 times)

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #825 on: June 24, 2017, 01:58:48 pm »
Thanks Charlie.  Lots of good pics on that link - very helpful.

And thanks for the advice, Dave.  :thumbsup:
No problem   :thumbsup:   I considered keeping the white wyandottes myself a couple of years ago hence having the details on file  ;)

5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #826 on: June 26, 2017, 01:39:01 am »
Indian game are growing nicely + enjoying the extra space.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #827 on: June 26, 2017, 09:03:48 am »
Looking good mate  :thumbsup:

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #828 on: June 26, 2017, 12:36:17 pm »
Hello all
I posted a while back on a separate thread, worried about inconsistent incubator temps. Have had moderate success and have 7/10 at day 21 - 6 hatched last 24h. They are Ross/Cobbs. I very carefully chose these as have never slaughtered anything before and know that I can't humanely keep these going beyond a certain point, so will have no choice but to 'do the deed' for the birds' sake.
I've got plenty space so am keen to get started with the next batch soon, so they can go into the brooder pen as soon as these go outside.
What I'd really like is Sasso/improved Indian game or similar but can't find any current suppliers of hatching eggs...... Anyone here got any contacts?

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #829 on: June 26, 2017, 06:41:55 pm »
Dave C would be the man for that  :thumbsup:

Cobbs are your general supermarket bird + designed to be culled at 6-8weeks old.

I went down the cobb path earlier this year and had 3-4kg birds at 8wks old.but they get too massive for their legs and spend most of the time sat infront the feeder or drinkers.

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #830 on: June 27, 2017, 11:12:25 am »
Yes, I realise the issue with weight but the necessity of the slaughter point was important for my first batch - anything with longevity might not make it to the freezer! Once this batch is done I will manage the next ones, so will go for a better bird.
In any case, they will be free-ranged and have a controlled diet to try and improve quality of meat and quality of life for the bird. Better than they would have had at the chicken farm anyway......

Dave C - do you sell hatching eggs?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #831 on: June 27, 2017, 09:35:44 pm »
Not really  ;)
I don't sell in the post or anything but have supplied a few this season, either pick ups or met up with people around the north if I'm passing with work.

My IG have finished for the season now and I've mixed up the breeding pens, might be able to sort some Sasso but they are about ready to cull out so not sure what fertility would be like.

Where about are you ?

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #832 on: June 28, 2017, 12:46:11 pm »
Had a visit from Mr fox early this morning  :rant:
was up at 6am and let the IG + speckledies out into their paddock,went in to make my coffee and was gone 5 mins tops.went out and I am now 1 less speckledy hen and of all the ones to kill and take it had to be my favourite one that I practically hand reared as she was a sickly weak chick to start.

At least she was taken to be eaten not just killed and left.

Lamp battery is fully charged,plenty of cartridges+bullets so I will be out later seeking revenge lol

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #833 on: June 28, 2017, 12:48:53 pm »
 :rant:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #834 on: June 28, 2017, 03:17:24 pm »
Good luck with that revenge.

I've shot 3 this year, few weeks later another moves in.

I'm looking for a good live trap but there quite pricey!!
At least then I can leave it set and not be running round at 5am in my pants trying to shoot them  :D

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #835 on: June 28, 2017, 10:15:59 pm »
spent a few hours in the paddock earlier today,cutting back the bushes,trees and reeds that could be used as cover by any foxes looking to return!

Sat in the car to take a phone call + about 15 mins later I spotted the  :rant: fox coming along my border fence and under the same bit of fence I found the feathers+fox fur on early this morning.

I am so glad I put the gun on the back seat ready for tonights stakeout  :thumbsup:

Lets say he wont be returning any time soon!!

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #836 on: June 28, 2017, 10:31:43 pm »
 :fc: :fc: :fc:

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #837 on: June 29, 2017, 05:47:41 pm »
Im sure there will be others as we are super remote here and surrounded by forest on 3 sides and open farm land behind us but the 1 I spotted yesterday will defo not be returning  :innocent:

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #838 on: June 29, 2017, 06:36:32 pm »
Well the sex linked Sasso x Cuckoo Marans cross isn't as straightforward as I hoped.

Batch 1, cockerels white, Pullets black...... Textbook.

Batch 2, culled whites, blacks with white spots on head have now turned barred and cockerels!

Batch 3, culled whites, 2 blacks are Pullets, 2 blacks with white faces are cockerels  ???

I guess the white head spot is like the Marans.
I'm not bothered as I find this interesting and they will be invited to lunch with the meat birds, but I dare say I've culled a few Pullets though which may have been white  :thinking:

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #839 on: July 01, 2017, 12:37:25 am »
shame that mate but I guess we never know but we enjoy the results whatever sex or colour they are  :hungry:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS