Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 216746 times)

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #810 on: June 21, 2017, 11:24:08 am »
3 cocks 1 hen going by head spot size but time will tell.

Did have 18 sasso chicks but my mate wanted something for hatching/rearing for me + was happy to take half the birds instead of money.

I can always put some more through my incubator once everything else is moved around  :innocent:
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

snowyriver

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #811 on: June 21, 2017, 08:54:50 pm »
I had the bresse for sunday lunch.
What did she do to warrant that? I always thought that bresse gauloise were a good hen to cross with an indian game cockerel to produce meat.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #812 on: June 21, 2017, 09:18:11 pm »
When I was breeding them I would never have eaten a Pullet as there too good a layer  :thumbsup:

But if you look back through Darren's posts I think it was 2 cockerels he had.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #813 on: June 21, 2017, 09:20:19 pm »

Did have 18 sasso chicks but my mate wanted something for hatching/rearing for me + was happy to take half the birds instead of money.

I can always put some more through my incubator once everything else is moved around  :innocent:

Sounds typical about the Marans mate.

You might hav to be quick for more Sasso eggs, I've a feeling I will be culling most if not all of last years birds soon.
I'm just waiting on this years stock to start laying really.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #814 on: June 21, 2017, 10:56:17 pm »
We found some information that suggested that White Wyandotte on Light Sussex would give a fast-maturing, meaty bird.  Anyone tried it?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #815 on: June 21, 2017, 11:08:41 pm »
I had the bresse for sunday lunch.
What did she do to warrant that? I always thought that bresse gauloise were a good hen to cross with an indian game cockerel to produce meat.
One of the dogs grabbed her and she was roughed up a bit so had to put her in the pot.

I did hatch 2 so called Bresse a few weeks back and they were not pure,1 had yellow legs,black feathers around his neck + through the body 

Sticking to Indian game + sasso`s for now...and maybe a few crosses in between   :innocent:

Sounds typical about the Marans mate.

You might hav to be quick for more Sasso eggs, I've a feeling I will be culling most if not all of last years birds soon.
I'm just waiting on this years stock to start laying really.

No worries for now mate,think i`ve got plenty on for now,keep forgetting i`ve got the ducks to rear if they hatch as well as the marans+ barnevelder chicks currently in the spare room.

snowyriver

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #816 on: June 22, 2017, 06:47:32 pm »
I've not been able to sex many cuckoo marans by size of head spot, but it's much easier when the wing feathers develop by the width of the white barring, males being wider.
Can you feather sex indian game by development of tail and wing feathers?

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #817 on: June 22, 2017, 08:22:15 pm »
I've not been able to sex many cuckoo marans by size of head spot, but it's much easier when the wing feathers develop by the width of the white barring, males being wider.

Im only going by what I`ve read about sexing marans but im not bothered what they are to be honest,if I cant find them a home I can always fit one in the freezer..I havent got a clue about sexing Indian Game either mate..

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #818 on: June 22, 2017, 09:28:10 pm »
We found some information that suggested that White Wyandotte on Light Sussex would give a fast-maturing, meaty bird.  Anyone tried it?

I think it's only the white Wyndotte that's still bred for DP.
Over s quality utility LS should make a very nice shaped carcass, never tried it but would be very interested to hear how you get on  :thumbsup:

Have you already got these breeds or look to bring something in for next year?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #819 on: June 22, 2017, 10:22:37 pm »

Im only going by what I`ve read about sexing marans but im not bothered what they are to be honest,if I cant find them a home I can always fit one in the freezer..I havent got a clue about sexing Indian Game either mate..

I think it's down to how light the Marans cockerel is, some are breeding the as lightly coloured as they can as it makes the light head spot more prominent.

As for IG I think you can Sex by wing feathers, it's not something I've done as like Charlie1234 I rear the excess for the table anyway or you also have no trouble homing them.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #820 on: June 22, 2017, 10:36:46 pm »
Here are a few of my Marans eggs eggs

Looking for a cockerel to go with them
Not only from a dark egg but also bred big for Utility not just eggs or show.

Will probably just buy in some eggs and be ready to go next season.
What you think?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #821 on: June 23, 2017, 01:08:24 am »

I think it's only the white Wyndotte that's still bred for DP.
Over s quality utility LS should make a very nice shaped carcass, never tried it but would be very interested to hear how you get on  :thumbsup:

Have you already got these breeds or look to bring something in for next year?

Thanks, Dave.

No, we don't have them yet.  Just wondering how hard we should try to source a White Wyandotte cockerel - and given your answer, I think we might try quite hard :)

We also wondered about whether the cross on a Speckled Sussex might work... our local organic choox and eggs guru said this was the best-performing DP breed they tried, and we do like them very much. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #822 on: June 23, 2017, 11:34:29 am »
I have a number for a guy that breeds white wyandottes somewhere in one of my diaries,I will try and find it out
SallyintNorth  :thumbsup:

Steve: 07976 846462   Cheshire poultry,also a place in Northern Ireland called Clogher Valley eggs and poultry.

http://cloghervalleypoultry.com/index.php/pure-breeds/30-wyandotte
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:44:05 am by Charlie1234 »

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #823 on: June 23, 2017, 08:45:41 pm »
Sally, if you like them you go for it  :thumbsup: I only have experience with Wyndotte bantams that I use as Broodies, so not as meat birds.
Had LS and they were OK but a bit framey if you know what I mean, might have been able to improve them if I gave them more time.

With traditional breeds I think it's more about the strain rather than the breed, look for a breeder who breeds for DP and fattens his cockerels for the table.
Speckled Sussex will work just as well if the strain is right.
Either Wyndotte or Sussex should give you a half decent bird in there own right, I would choose your favourite and breed them for fast maturity and size, then have a few of the other hens to cross them with.

Always rear your crosses with a pure breed, then you can compare the difference between them and the standard bird and if it's worth it, like a control.

Will be a very nice project  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:49:13 pm by Dave C »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #824 on: June 24, 2017, 08:38:41 am »
Thanks Charlie.  Lots of good pics on that link - very helpful.

And thanks for the advice, Dave.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS