Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 216626 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #465 on: January 07, 2017, 08:07:14 pm »
At long last, I've processed one of my Jersey Giant x La bresse cockerels.  It was a little before I wanted due to needing their space to get my hens under cover, and a couple more weeks fattening up would have made a difference.

i didn't cage or force feed them in any way. They were raised on grass with mostly corn feed. The one we just ate was delicious: shaped and tasted like a La Bresse (ie big legs and narrow breast) and weighed 1.97kg dressed. It fed 3 of us royally on breast meat alone so not bad.

Not exactly "fast food" as he was around 9 months old, but I didn't expect fast results as both breeds are slow growers.

I've got another hanging and a JGxMarans to pluck and compare as well.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #466 on: January 08, 2017, 12:28:23 am »
Ok so the Leghorns didn't do too badly. 1.2kg, 1.4kg and 1.6kg. I'll try them as roasts. It's mainly leg and thigh that we eat here and they look decent enough in those areas.

We have an 18 month old here, she doesn't baaa at animals yet but she certainly loves helping out with everything. She was very interested in the killing, plucking and gutting  today.

Is room temperature ok to store eggs for incubating? I could always then eat them at the end of the 10 days if there's no one feeling broody. I'm actually looking forward to the first broody of the year!  :excited:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #467 on: January 08, 2017, 06:42:40 pm »
That's the way Dans, start them young  :thumbsup:

Oh don't start talking about hatching!
You will set me off  :innocent:  :excited:

To be honest I wouldn't take a leghorn and try to breed it into a table or duel purpose bird.
Would be quicker just incubating some purpose bred meat bird eggs, save you a lot of time and money and you will end up with more meat on your plate.
You can then use your large cockerel on any hens you decide to keep back for next years breeding.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #468 on: January 08, 2017, 06:44:17 pm »
At long last, I've processed one of my Jersey Giant x La bresse cockerels.  It was a little before I wanted due to needing their space to get my hens under cover, and a couple more weeks fattening up would have made a difference.

i didn't cage or force feed them in any way. They were raised on grass with mostly corn feed. The one we just ate was delicious: shaped and tasted like a La Bresse (ie big legs and narrow breast) and weighed 1.97kg dressed. It fed 3 of us royally on breast meat alone so not bad.

Not exactly "fast food" as he was around 9 months old, but I didn't expect fast results as both breeds are slow growers.

They sound delicious Hev  :yum:

I think all these experiments are worth trying as you don't really know what your going to get but if your happy with the results is the main thing  :thumbsup:

But would you do that cross again?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:48:07 pm by Dave C »

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #469 on: January 08, 2017, 06:52:24 pm »
Well I have the first victim of the lockdown.

One of my hybrid meat cockerels I kept back is having leg / hip problems.

I think it's due to being contained in his run and not free ranging, he is loosing his fitness and putting to much weight on his joints.
Luckily he is only my back up cockerel.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2017, 08:17:18 pm »

To be honest I wouldn't take a leghorn and try to breed it into a table or duel purpose bird.
Would be quicker just incubating some purpose bred meat bird eggs, save you a lot of time and money and you will end up with more meat on your plate.
You can then use your large cockerel on any hens you decide to keep back for next years breeding.

Oh I'm staying away from the Leghorns. This is a Rhode Island Red x Copper Black Maran hen. At least that is what the egg was described as, as she is pure white I do question their claim.

Dans
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:44:16 am by Dans »
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #471 on: January 09, 2017, 07:34:41 am »
What colour was the egg? Leghorns lay pure white eggs. Rhode island red have the same light brown as the supermarket ones and maran as lay very dark brown!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #472 on: January 09, 2017, 08:41:12 am »
Here is a simple genetic calculator to play with, I use it to give me a rough idea what colour outcomes I would get.

http://www.breedbook.org/?action=geneticscalculator&tab=CHICKEN

If you click on the cockerel and put in Red, click on the hen and put in Black Copper, it shows the off spring cockerels as Red and Pullets as Black patterned Red !

So not white, sorry.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:45:30 am by Dave C »

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #473 on: January 10, 2017, 09:35:45 pm »

They sound delicious Hev  :yum:

I think all these experiments are worth trying as you don't really know what your going to get but if your happy with the results is the main thing  :thumbsup:

But would you do that cross again?

TBH, no. They took far too long to mature and didn't have enough breast. They are very tasty though!

I think I'll go for standard day old meat birds next time.  Where do you get your's from: I see you're not a million miles from me...

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #474 on: January 11, 2017, 03:18:59 pm »
Yes I'm not far away Hev and I regularly get down your way with work so could sort you out with some when I start breeding  :thumbsup:

If your looking for sustainable healthy birds,
I'm looking to do some slow growth birds, cockerels making 2kg dressed at 14-16 weeks, pullets are smaller but make excellent layers mine have laid solidly over the winter, these are healthy birds on free range.

Also crossing them with medium growth Farm Rangers both Cockerels and hens made 2 - 3 kg dressed birds in 14 weeks.

And both of the above will also be crossed with my Indian Game as another option.
P.S my IG cockerels also make 2kg dressed in about 16 - 18 weeks.

But if your looking for pure meat birds to process the lot in one go and not keep any for eggs or breeding then S&T Poultry or Cyril Poultry are your best bet.

hopefully I will have a few choices  :thinking: By the end of next year I should know the best combinations and I can concentrate on them and hopefully have a few less breeding pens.  :fc:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:21:37 pm by Dave C »

irenemcc

• Joined Sep 2013
  • H
« Reply #475 on: January 12, 2017, 08:58:17 am »
Not breeding for meat specifically more just surplus cockerels from my layers but just a wee observation. Was very suprised at just how nice and well filled my Scots Dumpy cockerels were. Nothing like a proper meat bird but even the banter had a decent covering.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #476 on: January 12, 2017, 11:58:50 am »
Ive tried 3 stains of Hubbards, ja57, ja87 & Colour yield. Colour yield is the slowest, but yields much more flavour with time & free range. These were for sale Christmas farm. Market fetching £18. So dave a nother idea for cash in lean times.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #477 on: January 12, 2017, 01:11:32 pm »
Well all in all my Leghorns ended up being an awful experiment. The boys are still small bug see thier last dawn tomorrow (I'll let you know what they weigh when I am done with them) and the one girl is laying me lovely white eggs at 35g each *sigh* I am really hoping the they increase in size as she gets older but I'm not holding out hope for large eggs.

On the other hand the hybrids that came from a mixed up ebay egg order matured into two boys giving me 1.4kg and 1.7kg roast chickens and a girl giving me 65g Brown eggs.

When I get bloodiest next year I am thinking of putting this hen's  (Brienne) under them as my Cockerel is a hefty big fella too.

Would that be foolish? I am utterly new to chicken breeding but on the face of it they are both big birds (she went straight into top hen position the day she joined the flock) and she is laying well. Do I just keep eggs at room temperature until I have a broody/enough for an incubator?

Dans
No one will stop you from trying to cross them! Just let them do it and see the results!
Yes you can store eggs in the cool place, but not the fridge as really low temperature can damage them.
Everywhere I read, the eggs start to loose their chances to hatch after 10 days. Any more time after that and they are less likely to hatch. However, I have hatched eggs which were waiting to start incubation for more than two weeks.
I want to get some Leghorns again! The one I had was laying the most massive chicken eggs I've ever had! Obviously as a young pullet her first eggs would be smaller. I've noticed the first end quality affects egg size a lot.

Btw i just read your blog! I reminds me of me feeding all my animals! When I realised my wife is giving birth, the first thing I did was to lock the hens so I don't have to worry about them later in the evening!
Now we have a 19 month old future farmer who starts to "baaaaah" in every shop whenever he sees picture of sheep goat or... dog lol
Plays with toy chickens and ducks and wears his little wellies when we go to feed the geese and rabbits.

i will second that we bought sheep 2 days after she gave birth
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #478 on: January 12, 2017, 03:47:31 pm »
Ive tried 3 stains of Hubbards, ja57, ja87 & Colour yield. Colour yield is the slowest, but yields much more flavour with time & free range. These were for sale Christmas farm. Market fetching £18. So dave a nother idea for cash in lean times.

I'm all for making some extra cash VF  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, your right about the extra time and free ranging giving flavour, £18 per bird is a good price.
Wonder what the costs will on them birds was ?

Robyn

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #479 on: January 13, 2017, 12:08:51 pm »
I've just replaced my Utility Light Sussex trio with a trio of well bred Cuckoo Marans, purely on the basis of their dark coloured eggs being more appealing, but I still intend to hatch some offspring for meat.

To improve breast meat yield and still retain the flavour, would you suggest crossing the Cuckoo Marans with an Indian Game cockerel or do you think that a slow grow Hubbard cockerel would be a better option for me?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:10:50 pm by Robyn »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS