Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 225442 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #210 on: July 29, 2016, 10:10:17 pm »
Comparing to white standard Ross, the sasso are roughly the same size except less round.
Looking at their colours they have quite a variety of breeds in them. Some have the patterns like the light sussex but definitely with rhode island red are probably indian game in them. Probably more
I really can't wait to cross them next year to the dorking.
Also can't wait untill next Saturday when I'm expecting silver dorking and indian game to hatch!
I counted my birds the other day - 54! Way too many for now. Need to sell some ducks and trio of West of England geese. Or even better fatten them up and put in the freezer in couple of weeks ????
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #211 on: July 29, 2016, 10:59:22 pm »
Yes I understand
I will have some light Sussex to swap ha
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #212 on: July 29, 2016, 11:00:54 pm »
Comparing to white standard Ross, the sasso are roughly the same size except less round.
Looking at their colours they have quite a variety of breeds in them. Some have the patterns like the light sussex but definitely with rhode island red are probably indian game in them. Probably more
Also can't wait untill next Saturday when I'm expecting silver dorking and indian game to hatch!
I counted my birds the other day - 54! Way too many for now. Need to sell some ducks and trio of West of England geese. Or even better fatten them up and put in the freezer in couple of weeks ????

Where abouts are you I got a mate after a pai of geese

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #213 on: July 29, 2016, 11:20:28 pm »
I'm in Leicester
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #214 on: July 30, 2016, 09:44:17 am »
I'm in Leicester
In Leeds bit too far

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2016, 06:46:06 pm »

They sound like my Farm Rangers they have much more pattern on them than last year and I've never seen anything eat like them, I gave my Sasso Gallic free lib with the food but don't think I will be able to with these FR, will have to keep the hens fit for breeding  :fc:

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2016, 06:46:27 pm »
The Sasso Gallic I kept back for breeding and the Buff Rocks all went into a larger permanent house last week.
Let them back out to free range today.

Gallic Pullets

Buff Rocks at the back

This Gallic Pullet is a very nice Salmon colour

I have high hopes for this cockerel over the Farm ranger hens

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:33:26 pm by Dave C »

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2016, 08:41:01 pm »
Tried the first chicken for our dinner tonight.
Had us 5 and Dad over and it tasted lovely, loads of flavour, plenty of breast meat and went down well with a bottle of red.

Very pleased with the end result.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2016, 08:48:40 pm »
Had some decent results this week
All gained over 200g
The light Sussex all but 1 weighed over 300g this week and a one hitting the 380g mark
I will put spreadsheet up tomorrow

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2016, 08:49:42 pm »
Tried the first chicken for our dinner tonight.
Had us 5 and Dad over and it tasted lovely, loads of flavour, plenty of breast meat and went down well with a bottle of red.

Looks gorgeous

Very pleased with the end result.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2016, 02:44:56 pm »
UPDATED SPREADSHEET WITH SEPRATE TABS AT THE BOTTOM WITH DIFFERENT BREEDS

WARNING COLOUR OVERLOAD BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE KEY AT THE SIDE IT ALL MAKES SENSE

WHAT I HAVE FOUND IS THAT BIRD 1100 LIGHT SUSSEX THAT IS A TOP PERFORMER IN THE OVERALL SPREADSHEET IS ACTUALLY ONE OF THE LOWER PERFORMERS AGAINST IS OWN BREED GROUP

AND BIRD 1108 LS X IG THAT IS A LOW PERFORMER IN THE OVERALL IS ACTUALLY A TOP PERFORMER AMONGST ITS OWN BREED GROUP

ONCE I HAVE FULLY SEXED THEM ALL I WILL CREATE 2 SMALLER CHARTS TO IDENTIFY THE BEST MALES AND FEMALES FROM EACH GROUP

AGAIN THE FEMALE AVERAGE DIFFERENCES WILL BE DIFFERENT WHILST IN THE SAME GROUP AS THE MALES
I AM CONSIDERING  DELETING THE OVERALL SPREAD AS IT DOESNT GIVE ME THE TOTALL ACCURATE DATA

I ALSO WEIGHED A COUPLE OF MUSCOVY MALES YESTERDAY AND AT 4 WEEKS ARE ALREADY OVER 1KG 

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2016, 06:01:34 pm »
Looks like your very much back on track  :thumbsup: I bet the slightly lower increase you ha was down to the hot weather.

That's some outstanding weight on the Muscovy Ducks are they always that big ?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #222 on: August 01, 2016, 06:55:41 pm »
Yes they are!
I have muscovies too! They are definitely better meat producers than old pure breeds of chickens!
They always go broody, sometimes raise 2-3 broods a year. Fantastic meat, more like lamb or veal than duck.
And they have proper meaty breast like turkey or broiler chicken.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #223 on: August 01, 2016, 08:20:01 pm »
They are big going to start weighing them soon
they have had about 2/3 bag of chick crumb so not bad got 12 ducklings
I thought the meat tastes like steak hardly any fat on them
Macgro what do you feed them on after crumb

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2016, 09:21:59 pm »
To be honest my ducklings run free range with their mother since they were about 1 week old. Which means they eat the same food as everyone else (muscovy drake and ducks, geese and chickens), I. E. Layers pellets, a bit of wheat and oats and kitchen left overs. They also have access to a compost pile and a brook.
I border a council allotment site and my ducklings were going there every day to look for slugs with their mum untill the allotment people started complaining and I had to block the hole in the fence lol
Now they learnt to go in the brook and swim away for hours, looking for insects and other little creatures.
That's why I love muscovies!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS