Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 225426 times)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2016, 09:15:14 am »
Yeah me too, there looks like some good ones about.

I will have a look at what my game dealer mates is like and let you know.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:03:45 am by Dave C »

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #166 on: July 22, 2016, 11:04:06 am »
Quick update -

I'm processing 6 Gallic this weekend, so interested to finally get them on the table, I'm happy with their shape and size but I will know more when I get a look at their carcass.
Hoping for. 2kg bird dressed but we will see, they are fit enough to keep for a larger bird but I need their pen for the next batch.
Here are a couple.

The Guinea Fowl Keets are 4 weeks and enjoying there outside run.
Although I'm not enjoying there morning song at 5am, ha.

The Farm Rangers are also 4 weeks and growing like weeds.
The rare 2 headed chicken!

And a couple of IG hiding in there as well

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:09:38 am by Dave C »

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2016, 10:19:54 pm »
Good luck
I've just had a look at the birds and looks like the IG x are starting to convert their feed be interesting to see what the weights are like tomorrow
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2016, 09:26:20 am »
Chicks update. 3 weeks old and growing like stupid!

They were more interested in the camera though lol

They white ones are bigger and definitely plumper.
I'm pretty sure the read one in this pic is a girl as it's much lighter in colour than some other which have a lot of black and darker red feathers. Girls have more of salmon coloured feathering.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:30:02 am by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2016, 11:56:12 am »
Yes I've found that with mine, the cockerels have darker feathers on there wings.

They look to be coming on well pal :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:52:15 pm by Dave C »

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2016, 05:56:58 pm »
Just been to see my mates old plucker that I'm using tomorrow night.
(Sounds a bit wrong) :innocent:

Think it's pre war  ;D

It uses a metal disc that rotates with groves in it which I guess grab the feathers  :thinking:

I will take a few pics tomorrow night if I remember, the weather looks warm which isn't ideal and I don't think I dare hang them anywhere at mine so it will be fully processed in one go.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2016, 10:28:40 pm »
I've seen those wiz bang ones that are like a big drum with rubber fingers in that spins at bottom
Can pluck a full chicken wings in 30 seconds

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2016, 10:45:43 pm »
I got a trio of 11 weeks old Red dorking (very rare) from a lovely couple in Skegness  (thanks very much, if you are reading this lol)
I'm planning to use them as Base for my meat chickens. Some pure dorking, some crossed with red sasso and perhaps layers (leghorn, welsummer).
On top of that we havr muscovy ducks and rabbits. That should keep us away from buying meat, except for lamb I suppose, untill we have more space to have our own.
I have three young West of England geese. Too nice to eat, but I'm not sure if I want to keep them so if anyone wants to buy them give me a call  ;)
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2016, 09:07:12 am »
I've seen those wiz bang ones that are like a big drum with rubber fingers in that spins at bottom
Can pluck a full chicken wings in 30 seconds

Yes they are the ones I've seen they have a stationary drum with rubber prongs and inside is a rotary part also with prongs you just drop the chicken in and away you go.
also seen some with just the rotary part which runs off a drill, you just hold the bird and turn it by hand.

The one I'm using tonight is nothing like them ha, no rubber prongs just metal groves getting smaller.
Guess we will see tonight  ;D

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2016, 09:14:23 am »
I got a trio of 11 weeks old Red dorking (very rare) from a lovely couple in Skegness  (thanks very much, if you are reading this lol)
I'm planning to use them as Base for my meat chickens. Some pure dorking, some crossed with red sasso and perhaps layers (leghorn, welsummer).
On top of that we havr muscovy ducks and rabbits. That should keep us away from buying meat, except for lamb I suppose, untill we have more space to have our own.
I have three young West of England geese. Too nice to eat, but I'm not sure if I want to keep them so if anyone wants to buy them give me a call  ;)

I love the Dorking and have been tempted many times, well done mate for finding some reds  :thumbsup:

Sound like some interesting projects you have going on.
Really looking forward to seeing how your Dorking X Sasso turn out.  :fc:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2016, 12:09:40 pm »
Interestingly the pure dorking are quite large for their age. Obviously not as large as the commercial broilers but still quite meaty

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2016, 12:52:08 pm »
How old are they ?
(Sorry I just read they are 11 weeks)  ::)

They will make a good table bird in there own right, you could try to breed for early maturity a bit like I'm going to start with next year with my pure IG.
Last year I got them to 2.3 kg in 16 weeks

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2016, 03:34:48 pm »
spread attacthed

dissapointed results this week but interesteing none the less average weight gain is over 100g less than the previous 2 weeks

this could have been the weather as there was some real hot days

i am predicting that if i get them gaining over 200g like the previous 2 weeks then i could be culling a 3kg bird at around 17 weeks

i feel that the IG could take a little longer maybe into the 20s

this also may indicate that the weights from the previous 2 weeks could have been growth spurts (a bit like a child has at certain stages of developement)  it will be interesting to see how that goes
and for future projescts to make make sure there is always plenty of feed (they get adlib anyway

shame you cant gat the colour pattern as you would see the patterns forming 

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2016, 06:05:26 pm »
How old are they ?
(Sorry I just read they are 11 weeks)  ::)

They will make a good table bird in there own right, you could try to breed for early maturity a bit like I'm going to start with next year with my pure IG.
Last year I got them to 2.3 kg in 16 weeks
They lady I got them from said she bought the parent stock from a man in Herefordshire who breeds the same line since 1970s and he said you can eat the cockerels at 12 weeks.
I just hope they grow up nicely, lay lots of eggs, go broody and raise a lot of chicks.
The broilers grow ridiculously fast. In little over three weeks they nearly went through 20kg of chicken crumbs. Still living in a chicken tractor but I can't wait to let them free range. Still too small for that though. I think buy the end of this week they will be fully feathered. Maybe then

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2016, 07:33:20 pm »
Could do with these sure I could make one

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS