Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 225563 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #495 on: January 22, 2017, 09:24:47 pm »
Mild weather??? We have frosts for last couple of days!
Beautiful birds you have there!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #496 on: January 23, 2017, 09:18:00 am »
What good looking birds  8)
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #497 on: January 25, 2017, 11:59:51 am »
Hi all, I have found this thread really interesting - to the point of considering getting some hatching eggs and having a go at rearing some meat birds, however, a few years ago I decided to dispatch some cockerels that were surplus to requirements but they were so tough and unpalatable, also, I had a real job getting my hand in to draw them. I dispatched (well, OH did) using broom handle method cut and left to drain. Dunked in hot water and plucked then drew. I then put them in fridge to 'rest' before roasting one and freezing the other. I think they were light Sussex birds and they had been free ranging I think they were about four months old when dispatched. What did I do wrong and any suggestions on what breed to give a go please.
Heather

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #498 on: January 25, 2017, 04:41:58 pm »
Hi, at 4 months they should be tender enough, although you would be doing well to get much meat on a LS at that age, how long did you leave the carcass to rest for? I normally pluck straight after dispatch then hang overnight and gut the next day.
As for the vent, just cut it out bigger no harm done.

The breed will be down to personal preference but here are a few things to consider,
 are you looking to rear and process all birds? Or will you be keeping pullets back as layers/breeders? If so are you looking at pure breeds, crosses or hybrids?
They all have there own place but it depends what your looking for in a table bird, also time to table, weights and the amount of meat against just frame will determine what is your best option is.

If you've read this thread what's your thinking?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:50:03 pm by Dave C »

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
  • Love my family animals and life's sweet
« Reply #499 on: January 25, 2017, 05:50:27 pm »
Hi, I've read through this thread , I'm really interested now but the main question I have is can I dispatch the birds myself, I'm licensed for pretty much all animals and game but I've never performed an "on farm slaughter" if it's for myself surely it's okay?
Everyday is a day to wake up for

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #500 on: January 25, 2017, 06:23:34 pm »
I would be very interested to source a good Utility Light or Speckled Sussex and buy some hatching eggs this spring if anyone knows of any?
Sadly I don't think there are many decent 'Utility' strains left as some folk seem to think that 'Utility' stands for a good egg layer, which is doesn't
I have a good utility strain of Speckled Sussex and may have some hatching eggs available once I've put a test batch through the incubator.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #501 on: January 25, 2017, 09:44:07 pm »
Hi, I've read through this thread , I'm really interested now but the main question I have is can I dispatch the birds myself, I'm licensed for pretty much all animals and game but I've never performed an "on farm slaughter" if it's for myself surely it's okay?
You don't need any license to slaughter poultry up to a certain weight on your own land where the birds were raised.
Not sure what the legal weight would be though
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
  • Love my family animals and life's sweet
« Reply #502 on: January 26, 2017, 05:56:42 pm »
Thanks macgro
Everyday is a day to wake up for

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #503 on: January 26, 2017, 06:53:11 pm »
Macgro, have you decided which way your going with breeds this season pal?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #504 on: January 26, 2017, 08:18:42 pm »
For now I'll just order variety of broilers and wait for the April rare breed sale and see what's available. Looking for la bresse.
Might order those turkeys. They will send me their price list once they start hatching around March time

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #505 on: January 27, 2017, 06:16:37 pm »
I would be very interested to source a good Utility Light or Speckled Sussex and buy some hatching eggs this spring if anyone knows of any?
Sadly I don't think there are many decent 'Utility' strains left as some folk seem to think that 'Utility' stands for a good egg layer, which is doesn't
I have a good utility strain of Speckled Sussex and may have some hatching eggs available once I've put a test batch through the incubator.

Thanks Marches I love speckled sussex and would be very interested in some eggs some time in March if possible?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #506 on: January 27, 2017, 07:21:59 pm »
I think it's great that people on this forum are starting to source quality table and DP birds through this thread  :thumbsup:

It will hopefully keep the thread going as folk update on there progress  :excited:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #507 on: January 27, 2017, 09:05:58 pm »
Anyone tried jersey giants???
Wanted to get them but don't really like pure black ones. Maybe blue ones?
They grow really large lay decently. Supposed to be good for extensive free range system. Perfect for our little home farm
I mean all birds we discuss here are should be like that, right?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #508 on: January 29, 2017, 02:50:01 pm »
Yeah all the birds we discuss on here free range well and my meat hybrids are surprisingly good which I really like as it keeps them fit for breeding  :fc:

I had some black JG about 12 years ago, processed them at about 26 weeks and they were a good weight but all frame and not much meat!
Which I was surprised at as the are a lot.
I think because they get so big they take an age to build their frame and then longer again to put any meat on it.
May have just been the strain I had and maybe you could improve them over a few generations, would be interesting but I'm no expert on them.

Bet a IG cross with them would put some breast meat in them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:56:27 pm by Dave C »

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #509 on: January 29, 2017, 05:13:10 pm »
I second what Dave said re Jersey Giants - I hatched some black ones and yes they grew but sadly all frame and no meat and I always grow my utility birds to 25 or 26 weeks, so won't bother with them again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS