Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig fencing  (Read 5860 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Pig fencing
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 11:22:10 pm »
I think it would s fine to mix pigs and small children as long as you are not too keen on either  :roflanim:  otherwise stock fencing and an electric wire 10 cm up keeps them apart. The advantage of the el citric wire over barbed is if you ever need to sub decide the pen temporarily, e.g sick pig then you can do it quickly and cheaply.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 08:47:42 am »
I think it's wrong to say pigs are not dangerous. Yes they do enjoy human interaction and yes they are placid creature very nearly all the time. However they are equipped to be dangerous and it only takes a second for something bad to happen. I certainly wouldn't let small children be with pigs without experienced supervision.

I wouldn't let small children be with any farm animal unsupervised, out on a farmyard unsupervised or anywhere out unsupervised because as you say it only takes a second. I wouldn't however be put off keeping pigs just because I had small children anymore than keeping sheep, cattle, goats, horses or dogs.

Waula

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 07:40:24 pm »
Thanks for all the comments - and for the health and safety tips! Fairly well versed in pig handling/health/safety as I am a farm animal vet - more the practicalities of keeping them contained that I was after. They're incredibly tame - we had them bottle fed in the house for 3 weeks so they are definitely part of the family! We've decided to do post and rail with pig netting as our permanent perimeter fence as 3/4 of the field already has that and then as and when we need to subdivide we will use electric. The barbed wire was only going to be at ground level to try and stop them snouting the fence up!

Interesting in the advice not to keep hand reared pigs for breeding - they weaned last weekend without a hitch at 8 weeks and are flipping massive! What are your reasons for not? I figured tame sows would be a good thing!!!! For anyone that has to / considers hand rearing piglets as a last resort, don't be put off it was much easier than everyone said. I used individual bottles for the first couple of weeks then lamb feeder bottle racks until 6 weeks then they slurped it out of a trough and weaned really easily.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 08:35:36 am »
I don't know specifically about the hand rearing and health bit, it was Happyhippy who made the comment so hopefully they will see your question and respond.  I ha e heard it in general about livestock so assume it to be down to colostrum intake possibly having a long term impact. Possibly makes sense in the context of immune system and increasing understanding how viruses in youth can affect health later?

I am going to start a separate thread on pig handling and would appreciate your and any other animal vets thought on that.

HappyHippy

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 06:35:43 pm »
Yes, lack of colostrum would be the cause - there's no substitute for mums milk.
I haven't had personal experience, but know breeders who have bottle reared orphans and they just never seem to do as well as others who are with mum. I know of a few who have died suddenly for no obvious reason as young adults.
Obviously pregnancy and farrowing puts a greater strain on all their vital organs and reserves, breeding from anything other than a 100% healthy pig could be a recipe for disaster and heartache. Ultimately it'll be each person's own choice based on the stock in front of them, but I wouldn't risk it.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 10:01:04 am »
Interesting in the advice not to keep hand reared pigs for breeding - they weaned last weekend without a hitch at 8 weeks and are flipping massive! What are your reasons for not? I figured tame sows would be a good thing!!!!

I've kept two I've hand reared back (actually they just got on with it in a saucepan!) and successfully bred from them. They've had no issues breeding, and never seen any signs of poor health. One of them is currently doing a smashing job with 15 little porkers of her own. The worst thing about keeping them back IMO is their levels of oinky screaming that still occur at feed time 2-3 years later  ::)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:36:22 am by SophieYorkshire »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 10:50:34 am »
Interesting in the advice not to keep hand reared pigs for breeding - they weaned last weekend without a hitch at 8 weeks and are flipping massive! What are your reasons for not? I figured tame sows would be a good thing!!!!

I've kept two I've hand reared back (actually they just got on with it in a saucepan!) and successfully bred from them. They've had no issues breeding, and never seen any signs of poor health. The worst thing about keeping them back IMO is their levels of oinky screaming that still occur at feed time 2-3 years later  ::)

Our first two sheep were orphans and they have bred great lambs for three years.

If they are healthy and well grown I would go for it as long as they have good underlines and basic conformation.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS