Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep not lambed but has milk.  (Read 8016 times)

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
Sheep not lambed but has milk.
« on: June 03, 2016, 10:47:03 pm »
Sheep conundrum two: I have a 2 year old who caught first time with the tup but showed no lamb at scanning. I assumed she'd reabsorbed the foetus with the stress of moving back from tup's land to ours. Since another ewe's twins were born they've been harassing this ewe and apparently suckling for a minute until she boots them away. She was shorn yesterday and now I can see properly that she does have a tiny milk bag. Should I be worried about something internal? She appears fine otherwise.
Also should I try and tup her again this year? Mine are a small hobby flock so she won't be culled.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Sheep not lambed but has milk.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 08:28:28 pm »
Please stop sheep worrying you'll get ulcers , she will be fine this year and next

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 08:43:58 pm »
Sheep can get udders and milk without getting pregnant - just by being fat!!!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 07:02:14 am »
Reassurance number two, thank you. We only bought the sheep as lawnmowers originally and then I got kind of hooked ...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 11:31:12 am »
You're absolutely certain she's not in lamb ....?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 12:33:53 pm »
How long ago was she scanned?

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 02:06:07 pm »
do you mean like a phantom pregnancy like in goats?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 05:29:46 pm »
Sometimes they get milk, and several times I've found this situation with stil births - you wont always find the dead lamb tho, badgers and kites will take stillborn lamsb pretty sharpish.

Today a fat hog from last year who keeps escaping the deathbus gave birth, so sometimes accidents do happen (means one of the wethers she was bought with as a store wasnt quite a wether)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 08:22:40 pm »
do you mean like a phantom pregnancy like in goats?
I'm not sure if its a phantom pregnancy or not, but have seen quite a few times a geld ewe (i.e. not pregnant) still have a small bag which produces milk but only if they are quite fat.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 11:55:42 am »
She's not fat but is certainly not undernourished ... Definitely not preggers, it would have turned up by now (scanned in Feb??) and no exposure to a tup since new year. She seems well, my only concern was whether some tissue had been left behind from miscarried/absorbed lamb. Our old German Shepherd was prone to false pregnancies - milk etc. We had her spayed in the end.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 02:33:52 pm »
If she continues like this, and I am sorry to have to say this, it may be better to cull her out. It sounds like her fertility could be up the creek a bit, would be worth scanning again though, has she jumped out at all or a ram lamb gotten in maybe?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 05:48:13 pm »
I don't think she could have been got at - only remote possibility is that she was tupped very near the day we collected them but there was no new raddle mark. I might give her another go next time as she did catch straight away but the lamb had gone by time of scanning - they did get really stressed though when they were caught to be brought home so I wasn't surprised that it had an effect.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 07:36:47 pm »
I would give her a second chance too.  I don't think there's anything too unusual going on.  Lost her lamb, reabsorbed or aborted due to stress.  Has milk because of really good condition - not that unusual.  Just make sure she's not too fat around tupping time as it will reduce fertility.

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 11:15:41 am »
We've had a few ewes with milk and a small udder, who where defiantly not in lamb, but we're fat, fit and bouncing round like spring lambs. She'll be fine, ours went to the tup later in the year and raised twins with no issue. Leave her (ie don't milk her out) and she will be right as rain
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 09:09:30 am »
Thank you. I'm not going to cull her - she was my favourite lamb of her year so I'll give her another go this year. She seems well otherwise - I am much reassured.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS