Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Follow up on udder question  (Read 2620 times)

ferdi

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Devon
Follow up on udder question
« on: June 03, 2016, 11:47:15 am »
. Hi all

Following my question on udders it seems that Kerries don't hang around. At 6.30 this morning I had a water bag and by 7.30 a healthy baby bull calf arrived.

Thanks to those that gave me advice

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Follow up on udder question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 12:11:14 pm »
Braw. Cannae beat the traditional breeds fur makin' it aw look easy :thumbsup:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 09:36:10 am »
Ooh congratulations!!  BOGOF!!  Hope you are pleased with your unexpected baby!!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 01:56:26 pm »
Yes congrats indeed. A free calf eh? Bet the farmer isn't too pleased :innocent:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ferdi

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 10:35:25 pm »
Have now got the second Kerry Heifer I bought looking close to calving next.

Seems to me this cow business is just one worry after another.
First I worried if they were pregnant, then I worried when they would calve. Next you worry if they will calve ok. When the calf is born you worry if it will stand ok, when it stands you worry if it suckle!
All jobs the last few days have been put on hold as I have spent hours just watching mum and baby to make sure they are alright :excited:

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 11:39:48 pm »
Have now got the second Kerry Heifer I bought looking close to calving next.

Seems to me this cow business is just one worry after another.
First I worried if they were pregnant, then I worried when they would calve. Next you worry if they will calve ok. When the calf is born you worry if it will stand ok, when it stands you worry if it suckle!
All jobs the last few days have been put on hold as I have spent hours just watching mum and baby to make sure they are alright :excited:
I agree it is nerve wrecking waiting for calves to come along. So far this year I have had to pull 2, one because it was stuck and the other because it was a bit slow coming out, first time calver's too, and both calves and mums fine. I am glad all is working out well and mom is doing her good job of mothering.
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS